Logo

OMC 350 not starting (I need suggestions on why)

HelloGuys

Hello,

I recently bought a 1991 21' Sunray boat with an V8 OMC 350. It was cheap because the sterndrive was accidented. When we went to check on the boat to buy it, the guy selling it started it up and it was running perfectly, starting in under a second, with no weird sounds or anything. We bought it, and when I was back home, the next morning, it started up fine. But then the next day (so two days after I bought it), it wouldn't start.

It wasn't the batteries, because they were on a charger, and we checked every fuse, relay, and connection and everything was getting power, so we thought it might have been some kind of protection or kill switch activated somewhere to stop the power to reach the starter. We can bypass it by using a screwdriver and make it spin, but then theres no spark happening, so it wont start this way either.

I called the guy that sold it to us, and he said that he never had a problem like this and its probably not a protection either since his mecanic would have told him there was one somewhere. (the whole engine was completely rebuilt)

But like I said, it is a boat without its sterndrive bolted on, so we think that it is something stopping the power since it isnt detecting the sterndrive behind. But them how did it start back at the seller's house and mine since it was never on all this time?

I spent two days trying to find something, like a loose cable somewhere or something like that, but never found anything.

I need help and sugestions so anything would do!

Ayuh,...... Check for voltage at the coil's tiny (+) terminal, that's the ignition circuit from the key switch, should be purple wires,.....

The start circuit runs from the key switch through the neutral switch in the control, to the slave solenoid, to the starter's solenoid, Yellow / red wires,.....

There is No sensor for the outdrive,....

Check your nominal neutral switch. If the switch is engaged it will not start. With the outdrive remove ld it will change the settings on everything. Remember once you reinstall the outdrive, get the manual and set the nominal neutral and neutral safety switch.

Back