Logo

Old style 275 drive

dcso

Contributing Member
"i've read the manual and

"i've read the manual and alot of posts and i'm still confused, when in reverse lock will it
disengage when i raise it from the helm? or does it have to be manually released?
thanks
ted"

"You should not have it in gea

"You should not have it in gear when you try to raise the drive from the helm. Ideally, the engine should not be running either."

"The lift out unit has a press

"The lift out unit has a pressure plate at the lower end of the vise rod. (what some call a piston.... although it is not)

When this little round pressure plate contacts the latch release push rod "Thrust Sleeve", the intent is to release the latch (if all is clean/free to move/and working!
That is what this does....., it allows the Lift Out unit to raise the drive!
It will do this whether IN gear or NOT so long as you are not Powering-UP in gear!

Ditto Robert.... and try your best to not allow the drive to kick up on you."

"thansks,
should I leave it l

"thansks,
should I leave it locked down when in operation at all times? except for putting it and takind it out
thanks
ted"

"Ted, true! And while on the

"Ted, true! And while on the topic of lifting the drive....... you can extend the life of the drive shaft bellows if you:
*store with drive fully down
*steering straight fwd
*raise no more than need be.... when/if possible!

This prevents unnecessary stress on the underside of the bellows!

These bellows are manufactured in a position that most ressembles a drive being fully down/straight foward!
I know that is bordering on being very anal, but it does work!

."

"Ricardo
what i'm asking

"Ricardo
what i'm asking is does or is the drive supposed to be locked down in forward motion, I dont have an owners manual for the boat ( 86 Bayliner ) it has hydraulic trim tabs, but can i use the drive in forward motion without being locked in the down position
thanks a bunch
ted"

"ted,

no your drive has to

"ted,

no your drive has to be fully lowered with the helm tilt light out!!! must be fully locked down to go in foward gear unless traveling at trolling speeds or in shallow water. Very important!!!"

"[b]quote: " should I leav

"quote: " should I leave it locked down when in operation at all times? "

Yes, the above is what I was responding to with the word "true"!

The latch hooks "lock" it down into FWD preventing the suspension fork from kicking up AFT.

When in FWD, the fork will be thrusting against the set pin (the latch is non-effective until you reverse again).

If you were to REVERSE, the latch unit will then become effective!

It's called a "reverse latch"..... not a FWD lock!

FYI, the transmissioin will go into and out of gear with the drive in any position. This is what you will want to be careful with!
."

"Ted, you are very welcome.

"Ted, you are very welcome.

I didn't mean for that last comment (not a FWD lock!) to sound smart a$$ like that! Sorry!

."

Back