Logo

Old Outboard 1955 10hp

Boatboy88

Hi,
I own a 1955 10 Hp Johnson and it is practically in peices. The lower unit has no gears, seals, water pump, copper water tube, propshaft, or driveshaft. But, I found a lower unit of a 1960 10 hp lower unit with everything in working condition. I was just wondering if the 1960 lower unit is compadable with the 1955 midsection. Also could a lower unit from a 1953 Johnson work on the midsection of the 1955 QD 16? I am not familiar with the design changes that came with the progressing years. I appreciate your time.
Thanks a bunch,
Dan

Re: Old Outboard

For better info go to http://www.aomci.org/ and post on Ask-A-Member. Garry or Frank would probably be able to tell. I know the units from the 18HP would bolt up but that OMC changed the unit on the 10HP to that of the 7.5HP sometime after 55 but not sure when.

I believe the 1960 and later 10hp lower unit were downsized for some reason and had only 4 bolts...They did not have the Longer and larger 5th bolt at the back of the assembly....you can check out parts diagrams on this site...they are all here...I probably have a lower unit for your motor but I dont know where you are located or how to ship

Thanks a bunch guys I'm sure the information provided will excel me in my process of rebuilding this motor. Bobbyc, if you find the lower unit for a 1955 QD 16 I would be interested in a purchase. Thanks again.
Dan

Back