Logo

OLD MARK 30 MERC NO SPARK

freedomflyer

I am beginning to restore my

I am beginning to restore my dads old dura-craft it has a mark 30 motor with no spark. He says that every year he had to replace the coil in the magneto. That makes no sense to me but if He said it I believe it Also there is a timing belt that drives the mag. are these still available? What about impellors?I think the motor is early 50's has a red top a chrome wrap and white bottom.any comments appreciated.

Cleaning the points would mak

Cleaning the points would make sense and test the coil and condenser on a mercatronic test unit.

" Hi FF,
The Mark 30 was m

" Hi FF,
The Mark 30 was made for 3 years - 1956 - 1958. The coils were actually quite reliable, but condensers may be suspect at times. I would start by gicing the points a good cleaning and cleaning up any green corrosion on the cap and rotor. Might find you have to pull the powerhead off the get into the magneto - depending on your paitience. I can get the mag out of my Mark 30, but it ain't easy (make sure there are no impressionable young children nearby!)
They're a good, smooth running motor. One thing of note - the real weak spot on those engines is the lower unit - a mildly beefed up version of the one used on the Mark 15 and Mark 20. If you have a bronze/brass prop on it, get rid of it, hang it on the wall, give it away - just don't use it! Find an aluminum one of the same pitch and diameter. The bronze ones are very heavy and put a lot of stress on the gears, clutch and bearings. Also, always shift at the slowest possible idle setting. You'll find lots of Mark 30s out there without lower units - they just didn't handle abuse very well.
For manuals and tune-up parts, try Grubb's at www.oldmercs.com
- Scott "

thanks for the info i guess t

thanks for the info i guess the old bronze prop will have to go dad installed it when it was new but we still have the origional two bladed one.Dad says the motor is low hours it must be or that prop would have killed it by now.

Back