Logo

Old Johnson Outboard

Whitetail62

I bought a small Johnson Outboard. Must be pretty old, because it has points. The model number is LD-110. I have searched and I find an LD-11, but no LD-110. Can someone tell me what year model and HP this is? I assume it's a 5hp, but I can't be sure. Also, if someone can point me in the right direction to find parts for it, I would appreciate it. It definitely says LD-110 and the SN is J2606169boat motor tag.PNG

It would be an LD-11C I think.-----It is a 1966 model.-------Facts.------It is a 6 HP powerhead with a smaller throat carburetor.------It uses the non shift ( 3 HP ) lower unit / midsection.------It was a smaller budget entry.------Sold for about $50 less than a 6 HP at the time.----Remember that $50 or so was a lot of money in 1966. -----A very good motor and many consumable parts are easily found right here on this website.----Many parts are easier to find than much newer motors too---!!----Have a couple of these motors on the shelf ( parts / rebuild ) myself.

Last edited:
It would be an LD-11C I think.-----It is a 1966 model.-------Facts.------It is a 6 HP powerhead with a smaller throat carburetor.------It uses the non shift ( 3 HP ) lower unit / midsection.------It was a smaller budget entry.------Sold for about $50 less than a 6 HP at the time.----Remember that $50 or so was a lot of money in 1966. -----A very good motor and many consumable parts are easily found right here on this website.----Many parts are easier to find than much newer motors too---!!----Have a couple of these motors on the shelf ( parts / rebuild ) myself.

Thanks, I bought this for $50.00. Of course it's not running. I just wanted to nail down the year, so I could get a manual for it. I'm a sucker for older stuff like this.

Welcome. Yes these had no transmission. Cheaper to build. They are not nearly as common as one might think....but parts are very easy to find. Did you do a compression test? Spray a little WD40 in the carb and cylinders. Put plugs in and pull it over about 15 times. Then do a compression test.
Back in 1965, my Dad must have had that extra 50 bucks. Still have the Evinrude Fisherman. Perhaps the best outboard ever made? Who will argue with me?

Welcome. Yes these had no transmission. Cheaper to build. They are not nearly as common as one might think....but parts are very easy to find. Did you do a compression test? Spray a little WD40 in the carb and cylinders. Put plugs in and pull it over about 15 times. Then do a compression test.
Back in 1965, my Dad must have had that extra 50 bucks. Still have the Evinrude Fisherman. Perhaps the best outboard ever made? Who will argue with me?
One other question. Is this an air-cooled engine? I don't see anywhere to hook muffs up. BTW. It starts and runs quiet, but I didn't want to run it too long if it's water cooled.

Last edited:
Ouch. No it is NOT AIR COOLED. If you run it without the water at least 4" above the water pump....even for a very short time....you risk damaging the impeller. Why? The impellered water pump relies on water for lubrication. Hard to supply water without complete water pump submersion.

You need a new impeller now.-----It is a 2 stroke engine and needs oil mixed in with the gas.----50 parts gasoline -i part oil.-----Also read some manuals and books on running an outboard motor before your first fishing trip.-----Mistakes can ruin a motor very quickly !!!

When I first started overhauling motors at a very young age, I melted a few impellers. Seems this newer synthetic rubber material they use today is even worse. Had this Forum been around, I would have made a lot less mistakes. See if you can find an impeller with a brass hub, as they are generally a higher quality than the plastic hubbed units.

Last edited:
Back