Logo

OIS 2000 Troubleshooting

Sbavo

I have an intermittent no spark condition on my 1996 Evinrude 150. It is always on cold start after sitting for a day or more. It did it this morning, and I am currently troubleshooting the problem. So far I have:

Disconnected the black / yellow wire from the power pack. I did this by removing the corresponding pin from the connector, then reconnecting the connector to the pack. No change.

Measured cranking speed at 315 rpm with an optical tachometer.

Measured 10.5 - 11 volts on yellow / red wire at power pack during cranking.

Measured stator output DVA while cranking. All ok per CDI troubleshooting guide.

Measured 12.5 - 13 volts input to optical sensor from power pack and 9.5 volts output from optical sensor. According to the CDI troubleshooting guide, the sensor should be replaced if the voltage difference between input and output is greater than 2 volts.

The original optical sensor failed a few months ago, and I replaced it with a new CDI optical sensor.

My current questions are: Does my voltage difference across the optical sensor really indicate that it is bad? Could it be responsible for an intermittent no spark condition that occurs only on cold start? What could cause the new sensor to fail so quickly? Input voltage too high?

It's is sparking now and the optical sensor is still showing ~3 volt difference between input and output while cranking.

It ran after it started sparking again, but would die after 30 seconds or so. It would then restart and do the same thing. I replaced the powerpack with a new CDI powerpack that I had on hand and that seems to have solved the problem, although it's hard to say for sure because it's an intermittent problem.

It started and ran well after I replaced the powerpack, but I've only put about a half hour of runtime on it so far. After I got it running I had to drop it off at a boatyard for bottom paint - an appointment that had been set weeks in advance. Once I have it back from the boatyard I'll provide an update.

Back