Logo

Oil on choke?

Ronniewhite

Regular Contributor
I have a 2000 25hp 3cylinder Johnson. I put a battery in today and I wanted to make sure it was working and I pulled out the choke to start it and there's oil on it. Is this a problem?

It on the metal rod on the choke when it's pulled out I noticed it looked oily when I went to pull it out and when I did there's oil on it. There's no problem I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't going to turn into a problem. The motor is working great I just don't ever remember seeing oil on it before.

If you never noticed it before, this may be of concern. I know this is a choke at the very bottom and front of lower cowling. It is oil injected 3 cyl? When the motor is tilted up, oil leaking would accumulate in this area. Give it a close exam and look for any tubes that are damaged or loose. You will probably have to remove the air silencer. I have a Mercury with a similar injection system and ignored the warning signs in haste. Running up the lake late in near darkness, I almost burned up the motor. It seized up from lack of oil/overheat. An injection line had cracked while in travel on miles and miles of rough roads. Lesson learned, stupid mistake on my part. My son even commented about some oil residue in the water when we launched at the remote landing. Since it was the first trip of the season, I considered it lightly.
So you should give it a good once over.

Back