Logo

oil leaking from water inlet holes

97lar310cab

Hello. I have a 1997 Larson 310 Cabrio with twin alpha 1 gen 2 drives. I recently changed the lower unit water pumps. I had the drives at home for the winter, stored upright in two stands that I had built. I took the drives to the yard to install them, but it turned-out that I did not have a chance to do it for a couple of days. the drives laid on their sides on top of some cardboard before I got to it. the starboard drive went on beautifully (the second pump that I had serviced). when I turned the port drive upright to install it, 4 or 5 ounces of oil came pouring out of the water inlet holes. I went ahead and mounted the drive and then proceeded to drop the lower unit to try to find the source of the leak. I had NOT forgotten to re-install the small o-ring and everything else seemed to be in place, but there was some gear oil inside the pump. I did not change the lower seals (the two that are back to back in the plastic carrier under the pump assembly) because there had not been any signs that they were leaking. I checked the cardboard where the drive had been laying and the floor of my truck - clean and dry. nothing had leaked out while I was re-filling the drive, other than from the vent, either. could it simply be that I over-filled the drive with oil? the second (starboard) drive did go back together a little easier than the first (the one that leaked). maybe I damaged a seal in the upper unit when I put it back together? I am concerned that I may also have damaged the starboard drive and that it just hasn't leaked yet. are these seals that delicate and easily damaged? I have installed new seals in cars and small engines in the past with no problem. Thanks.

Ayuh,... Donno why, but it's lookin' like the water pump seal,...

With that leakage, I'd think a pressure test oughta show it,...

Back