Logo

Oil injecter on Johnson outboard

geoponic

I have a 1992 70 HP Johnson outboard with oil injection. Is the oil automatically measured while being mixed and is there any way to adjust the flow of oil?

No way to adjust oil flow.-----There is a procedure to check operation of the pump.=====What is your motor doing / not doing ?-----Post actual compression test values here.----And does tell tale fitting come off the side of engine block or off the top of the block?

No way to adjust oil flow.-----There is a procedure to check operation of the pump.=====What is your motor doing / not doing ?-----Post actual compression test values here.----And does tell tale fitting come off the side of engine block or off the top of the block?
I haven't gotten the engine running yet I'm just trying to collect info. Thanks for the quick response. FYI fitting come off side of block.

There was a service bulletin in 1994 to move the fitting.-----There were cooling issues on some installations.----Water pump kit 0432955 has all the instructions and parts to modify cooling.-----Post those compression values before spending any beer tokens on this motor.

There was a service bulletin in 1994 to move the fitting.-----There were cooling issues on some installations.----Water pump kit 0432955 has all the instructions and parts to modify cooling.-----Post those compression values before spending any beer tokens on this motor.
Are you saying to post the compression values so you can read them?

What he means is posting the compression numbers will allow a determination of one of the most important parameters of your engine, & if it’s economically worthwhile to spend any $$ to make it run well.

What he means is posting the compression numbers will allow a determination of one of the most important parameters of your engine, & if it’s economically worthwhile to spend any $$ to make it run well.
Thank you for your response. I understand the part about the $$ What I don't know is what is meant by "posting a compression value" I know what a compression test is.

You've just lost probably the best guy on this site for helping you get your motor running. Not much on "chit-chat", but knows those motors more that anyone else here. Probably. I've had a couple of them.

Thank you for your response. I understand the part about the $$ What I don't know is what is meant by "posting a compression value" I know what a compression test is.
He meant, post the numbers from your compression test, ie cyl #1 xxxpsi, cyl#2 xxx psi.
that is the 1st step in deciding if a motor is worth fixing. I know this individual personally, & have brought numerous motors to him, it is very very difficult to find anyone with more knowledge of them, & his goal ?
Make them run like new, for the least amount of money spent. He’s old, & grumpy, (I’m getting that way too), but if you do what he says, in the order he says, it’s quite enlightening. People often take his brusque approach the wrong way, I have a ton of enjoyment, (and have gained much knowledge), sitting on his lawn, with a couple cold ones, discussing issueS with older motors, nuclear plants, ( which he worked on for years), sailboats, jet airplanes, (which I drove for decades), & other stuff.

Back