Logo

Oil in my flywheel

Joel Carvalho

71 Johnson 4hp 4w71D

Was having trouble with 1 of my cylinders not firing. It would kick in occasionally but more and more it was staying off. And then a few days ago, the engine wouldn't even start. Pulled the flywheel off to look at the points and coils. Coils look wet. And there's an 8th of an inch of thick dark oil in the bottom of the flywheel.

Just confirming that it's the coil(s)

Got a better look at it this morning. It is a thick oily stuff. One coil has a little bit on it, the other is covered and in a pool of the stuff.

I replaced the coil but when I put it back together, the throttle lever moves with the flywheel. So I can't pull the chord without it pulling the lever into the Stop or Off position.

Maybe I'm bad at searching, but I've looked. Both for the gummy oily stuff that's in my flywheel and reinstalling the flywheel. I couldn't find anything. I'm not doubting that it's been discussed before but I can find it.

You have to place the new coils in the correct position!!----Hurry to----leroysramblings-----A website that has numerous tutorials on how to repair this simple magneto.

I become thought, that if oil is found under the flywheel around ignition parts, then it is possible than crankcase upper seal is leaking. When i was doing disassembly for my 3hp 1966, i found lot of oil under the ignition plate, and yes, crankcase seal was broken, no anymore any leaking oil, after the rebuild. Yes the coils must place the right way, if doing wrong, then coils hit inside flywheel.

Maybe I'm bad at searching, but I've looked. Both for the gummy oily stuff that's in my flywheel and reinstalling the flywheel. I couldn't find anything. I'm not doubting that it's been discussed before but I can find it.

So you are saying this is not your picture?

Attachments

• 4hp goo.jpg
    4hp goo.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 47
Back