Logo

Oil change Volvo 5.7GI300

kcjaz

I had just drain (actually sucked out my oil) and poured in a new 5 qt. I then went to remove my oil filter and had forgotten it was a remote filter located up high at the front of the engine. This is much more convenient than my old boat but when I unscrewed the lid I heard a sucking noise and I quickly realized what I had done. I had just drained a quantity of old dirty oil into my new clean oil. My crankcase was now also over filled. Lesson learned, do things in the right order. I could have probably just sucked out enough oil to until the dip stick read correctly but it bugged me to have mixed dirty and clean plus I wanted to know just how much oile was in the filter housing and hoses. I removed six qts of oil.

This made me wonder if it is onto drain and refill with the total capacity (engine plus filter) because initially when the engine starts, the oil filter will not have any oil in it and the the oil pan will be a qt high. So my question is does the 1 qt "overfill", that would only last for a minute until the filer was filled, matter? Or would it be better to fill with 4 qt, start the engine and then add the final qt?

Sorry for the typos, somehow my iPad won't let me go back and edit. I think you can get the drift though.

I do not like the inverted remote oil filter systems. If you can swing your around so that the filter cartridge is in the upright position, you'd have a better system and less messy during cartridge change.

The cartridge should be pre-filled to approx 80%.
If you do not pre-fill, there will be some run time when the oiling system is minus lubrication.
Probably not a deal breaker, but not desireable, IMO.

Thanks Ricardo,
The remote filter system is Volvo OEM but I hear what your saying. The only other style of remote filter system I've see uses a normal canister filter that could be prefilled but you would still have an air bubble in the hose. Give that this is OEM, I can only assume that the Volvo engineers didn't think that short time it takes to fill the filter and the associated lack of lubrication doesn't cause significant wear as it is only happens during the first start after an oil change. This same basic thing happens on any engine when the oil filter is changed without prefilling it. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the people that change oil filters don't prefill them.

Thinking about my original question which was could the initial over fill of oil caused by pouring in the total amount of oil into the crank case with the oil filter empty cause any damage, I think the answer is no. The over fill would only last for a very short time and 1 qt probably isn't enough to get the oil level up into the crank shaft. Even if it did, the level wouldn't stay high long enough to cause foaming in the oil. So, I'm filling the crankcase with all 5 qts and then drinking a beer.

Back to you... me in blue text.

The only other style of remote filter system I've see uses a normal canister filter that could be prefilled but you would still have an air bubble in the hose.

The oil volume required to purge the hoses would be much less than required to fill the cartridge.

Give that this is OEM, I can only assume that the Volvo engineers didn't think that short time it takes to fill the filter and the associated lack of lubrication doesn't cause significant wear as it is only happens during the first start after an oil change. This same basic thing happens on any engine when the oil filter is changed without prefilling it. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the people that change oil filters don't prefill them.

You are likely correct.
In all the years that I've been doing mechanical work, even while young in the 60's, I have always pre-filled the cartridge.
What others choose to do..... it's their call!

Thinking about my original question which was could the initial over fill of oil caused by pouring in the total amount of oil into the crank case with the oil filter empty cause any damage, I think the answer is no. The over fill would only last for a very short time and 1 qt probably isn't enough to get the oil level up into the crank shaft. Even if it did, the level wouldn't stay high long enough to cause foaming in the oil. So, I'm filling the crankcase with all 5 qts and then drinking a beer.

If the crankshaft is able to reach the oil and to whip and aerate the oil, then yes.... it can cause damage via a change to the oil viscosity. This would typically occur only while operating at mid to higher RPM.

Maybe I'll install a pre oiler system with a talking helm mounted count down clock that would say "starting in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, ignition". :) Thanks for the discussion. JAZ

Back