Logo

Oil alarm sounding off at low RPM's

dplumr18

I have a 2003 Yamaha 150 2 stroke V6. When running around 2 - 3 MPH at low RPM's for about a minute or so my oil alarm starts sounding. The oil tank has plenty of oil. If I accelerate to get the RPM's up the motor starts to die out so I throttle back. After going through that about 6 - 8 times the alarm will stop and the engine will start running fine run fine. Like I said it only happens when in gear and idling real slow for a minute or so. I assume its the oil pump and it must be a mechanical pump. Any ideas?

Yam Tach Oil Alarm Indicators.jpg

Yamaha Oil Injection Troubleshooting.jpg

Do you have the round Yam tach with red, yellow, and green? If so, when the oil alarm is activated which indicator are you seeing (look at attachment)? If you don't have the tach with red, yellow, and green, you'll still have an oil symbol with a empty symbol on left and full symbol on right. You'll see a flashing bar over 1 of these symbols or all 3.

If the oil alarm is activated you won't be able to throttle up over 2000 rpms. This is called limp mode. The oil pump is mechanical, gear driven by the crankshaft.

Just so we're clear...the oil alarm activates despite the oil level in the main tank (on engine) is in between the 2 marks, and sufficient oil in the reserve oil tank?

I've also attached a oil system troubleshooting tree that might be helpful.

View attachment 15702

View attachment 15701

Do you have the round Yam tach with red, yellow, and green? If so, when the oil alarm is activated which indicator are you seeing (look at attachment)? If you don't have the tach with red, yellow, and green, you'll still have an oil symbol with a empty symbol on left and full symbol on right. You'll see a flashing bar over 1 of these symbols or all 3.

If the oil alarm is activated you won't be able to throttle up over 2000 rpms. This is called limp mode. The oil pump is mechanical, gear driven by the crankshaft.

Just so we're clear...the oil alarm activates despite the oil level in the main tank (on engine) is in between the 2 marks, and sufficient oil in the reserve oil tank?

Back