Logo

Ocean Runner 225 Idle Timing Won't Move

beatnavy

Trying to tune my old 94 Johnson Ocean Runner 225. Right now it's idling way too high most of the time (e.g., 1100 to 1500 RPM) although sometimes it will drop to around 950. I have done a lync/sync per service manual, so I'm pretty sure it's not butterfly's open. Putting a timing light on it, I can't get idle timing to move from where it is now -- approximately 0 degrees TDC or maybe even 1 or 2 degrees BTDC. I turn the idle adjustment screw clockwise and for a second it seems like the timing might be moving in the right direction, but then it seems to go right back to TDC. If I keep turning the screw clockwise, it may suddenly slow and then the motor dies. Last year I had done the check to make sure the timing pointer was lined up correctly, and I know I was able to get it to, or close to, the 6 degrees ATDC per spec.

So right now it seems like I'm stuck with a high idle that is sometimes inconsistent, or no idle at all. Nothing in between. I've also tried to discern if the QuickStart feature is playing into this, but it does not seem to be, but that's kind of complicated by the fact that it wants to idle above 1100 where QuickStart is enabled.

I'd appreciate any help trying to narrow my search on what to troubleshoot / replace.

Thanks.

rob

Back