Logo

Obsolete temperature switch, what are the options?

Thanks Joe for educating me, this is certainly a good option. I will look up the fast start feature just for my knowledge. You have been helpful in the past and you are helping me again, faster than the dealers that I have asked for advice.
What wires go where from the starboard sensor to the port side wire what wire to wire nut together with the starboard temp sensor

Is this still relevant? I am working on a solution for 2005 115 Johnson; open to posting progress and ideas for review, criticism, ridicule and other uses here if there is enough interest.

Nah, I don't have an immediate problem; mostly interested in designing it out of a sporting interest, and in case somebody else might find it useful. Thanks for the tip, though.

OK, so I looked at the schematic again (2005 115 PLSOR). The switch seems to be 2-in-1, with B/W (warm-up) wire running to the ECM, and Tan (overheat) wire running to the starboard switch and forward to the dashboard. Both switches seem to connect their respective wires to the ground when closed. So I thought I'd poke around.

Voltages to ground (V):
B/W Tan
Ignition off 0 0
Ignition on 0 4.26
Engine running 10+/- 10+/-

Current when connected to ground, engine running:
B/W 10 mA; Tan 20 mA, overheat buzzer activates.

I have a rough idea for a solid-state replacement for the switch, but I'll need 12V and ground. Any idea where I can access good clean voltage?

Anybody knows what is the thread size for the plastic plug that holds the switch in? Measured to about 9/16th, and looks pretty coarse.

(In case anyone wonders, the motor behaved normally on a fishing trip the next day, so I assume I did not fry anything)

Back