Logo

Not running on all cylinders.

Lakegeorge

I have a 2004 Johnson 150hp carbonated outboard. It starts up great, but seems as though it is not running on all cylinders (at startup) thought each plug is firing (I tested with a test light and replaced plugs). It runs on half power for about 10-15 minutes, which at that point I hear the other cylinders start to fire, it puffs a little smoke, and then it runs 100%. It has done this the last 3 times out. Once all the cylinders are working after the 10-15 minute warmup, it will last all day with no problems starting. It does appear to be getting worse?

Do you have any idea where to start when fixing the motor?

Maybe low voltage on battery?
Carb gummed up?
None of the power packs have cracks

It appears that the shift switch isn’t sticking. It goes in and out freely. Although it also appears that the button that engages the switch isn’t touching the seat when switched into forward/reverse. Maybe the button isn’t fully extended out? Or maybe the seat isn’t high enough?

when I activate the shift switch I defiantly hear only 3 cylinders running. When released, I hear all 6 cylinders running. When I switch into forward and reverse I don’t hear a difference in power. This test was done with muffs.
Thoughts?

Back