Logo

Not getting enough gas at mid range RPMs. 60hp

Kuy Siro

Had numerous problems with my 60 HP 3 cyl., 2-stroke motor.

Carbs have been cleaned (but I will check once again if someone says that it is definitely the carbs).

Ok, here's the problem,

fires right up and works fine in Neutral.
Runs fine just as put at Forward (no real RPM increase).

As soon as more throttle is applied (around 1,200 RPM) the motor gradually dies (within 2-3 seconds).

If I apply instantaneous full throttle (WOT) the motor kicks in with a slight power loss delay (a second (?)) but runs great at all RMPs afterward.

Yesterday I noticed that when I apply some throttle and the motor is about to die out and at that very moment I toggle/flip the manually controlled electronic choke the motor recovers back but than again after some time (2-3 seconds) it gradually starts dying until I flip the choke again.

Question: is it possible that I did something to the choke butterflies when I cleaned the carbs last time? Any suggestions?

Are the choke butterflies supposed to be completely horizontal when in the mid range RPMs? Or slightly closed to allow more fuel?

Please help.

Thank you.

Re: Not getting enough gas at mid range RPMs.

Most likely you are correct, the carbs probably need attention. Make sure you soak them in cleaner and use new kits. Everything you mentioned leads to a lack of fuel. Yes, the choke butterfies should be horizontal when the choke is not being used. Anytime you need to apply any amount of choking indicates a lack of fuel delivery.

make sure spring is under choke plunger this keeps choke from being sucked shut. some modles have a spring like wire on the middle cab wraped around the cam roller shaft that extends out when excelerating that wire holds the choke shutter shaft down preventing the butter flys from closing. however this is not your problem you have a lean condition verify timer base is moving freely,but you will need to recheck carbs when you have fuel bowls off look for cracks in the large brass tube located in the middle of the carb bodys.you can isolate you problem by placing your palm over on carb at a time when condition is present. keep us posted on your findings///

Back