Logo

Noobie - Head Gasket, Carb, or what? (Lions, Tigers, and Bears oh my!)

Samantha Harris

Hey guys!

Purchased a '96 Playboi last year and the engine (Evinrude 40hp) was serviced about 2 years ago prior to purchasing it. Last year she was a bit tricky to start each use but ran fine aside from the start up. Last year I was able to get her going by turning over the engine...it would idle out the first try, then I would adjust the primer solenoid lever/switch to a higher position, let the engine do some high rmps, then lower it back down and then she would run without idling out. Not sure if that is healthy to do but it worked for the time being?

Today I tried to get the engine going first time this season. She turned over, would idle out, had some white smoke (hoping not moisture but could be the fogger) but didn't leave it on long enough to see water running through it. Engine didn't heat up but I'm not wanting to risk it. I also found some considerable oil coming out the exhaust.

Is this all linked back to the solenoid or are we talking about a head gasket, cleaning out the carb? Etc? I'm 26 and a lady, so bare with me for my noobie attempt...all the mechanics are booked until 4th of July and I'm supposed to host a bachelorette party for my sister's friend June 5th, ha! We will see if that happens! But! I would greatly appreciate any insights you may have. Thank you!!!

The red lever manually opens the primer valve.-----This allows fuel directly into the engine.------This fuel bypasses the carburetors.------------------------The red lever should be inline with the valve body for running.------Are you pushing in the key while cranking the motor to start it ?

My neighbor had me crank the motor both - priming/pushing in the key while starting and also just turning it over without pushing in. Debating if he flooded it earlier lol...

Back