Logo

Noise until planed out on volvo 285 outdriveuniversal

finhead

"I have noise coming from, I b

"I have noise coming from, I believe, universal joint until boat plans out then quite. Seems like only makes noise until strain is reduced on u joint after planing. How do you tell when u joint needs replacing? Bearings on u joint need no add'l lubrication, correct? Also getting water oil mix in drive boot and outdrive. Is seal easy to replace where u joint shaft joins upper unit? Drive boot seems in good condition."

"If you have water in the driv

"If you have water in the drive bellow, then the u-joints are either gone or about to go. The sooner you replace them, the better.

Most of the u-joints do have a zerk fitting for greasing.

Check the OEM or Seloc repair manual for instructions on how to replace the u-joints. It is not a complicated task.

Also, make sure the primary drive shaft bearings and seals are in good condition."

"Gary, I just posted to your 2

"Gary, I just posted to your 285 drive seal thread.
I agree with Eduardo.... best to replace these, and what a great time to do all.... bearing crosses and re-seal the drive.

Now, El P makes another good point. The PDS bearings are critical, particularly behind the V-8 engine (285 drive).
There is no fool-proof method for testing these other than to have the engine unbolted from the F/C so that the shaft can be turned.
If no history of them having been replaced fairly recently, I think it would be a shot in the foot to NOT do this!

I keep several broken flywheel covers around here to show customers what can happen! These were broken due to PDS bearing failure.... failure that could have been easily prevented, and Very Expensive failure, I may add.

."

Back