Logo

Noise from power steering pump on Merc 5.7EFI

Rnk232

I have been hearing like whistling noise from my Mercruiser 5.7 EFi Bravo 3 for a long while but no one could point out from where it was coming from. At last after a long story I concluded that its coming from the power steering pump after spraying on some WD40 (Lubricating Oil) on the shaft between the pulley and the pump. This killed the whistling noise completely for a couple of minutes and than it starts again. The noise is heard through all the rev range even sometimes while the engine is on idle. Power steering works fine. Turning the steering either way does not effect the noise either.

According to some research I found out that the p/s pump does not have any serviceable parts inside and also the pulley is mounted on the shaft in a solid way so it does not have any bearings which can be changed or it could be it making the noise. Am thinking of getting new pump because this noise is really pissing me off but before I wish to ask if someone else has ever experienced this problem or anything which could be done since a new pump is a bit expensive !

Got a power steering cooler ? Ever change the fluid in the power steering pump ?

Finally the bearing might have gone on the pump. then your looking for another pump from a gm, notice i didn't post marine ?

I think the 5.7 EFI has a p/s cooler from the factory. Am not that technical sorry ! It came with p/s from the factory also.

Regarding the oil I tell my mechanic each year to do ALL whats needed but he never mentioned changing the oil. But I think its a good thing to start from.

According to the parts diagrams of my engine I found that the pump does not have any serviceable parts inside. My first thought was a bearing also !

did you ever try removing the ps belt and run it without. There might not be that big a difference in handling you might decide to throw it at your brother in law or in the garbage. And if you like it without then get rid of the ps cooler. Just another thing to clog up and f you. Sooner or latter it will.

They go the pumps i never had one in a boat but then again i run a 20 footer.

I just went through the same process.... I took it to two mech. neither could find the problem. it was another guy out on the lake that found it, his did the same thing till it finally gave way.. it had two small cracks in the plastic pulley, must have been enough that the belt started slipping...
went to change it and found out it is not made any more..
the kit that replaces it is a 57-861758a1 but not wanting to wait for it to be shipped in I had a friend from NAPA look up and cross over the numbers and were able to get the same thing for half the price... it has been working great ever since !!!!!

Back