Logo

No Spark

stupidgreg

I have a Johnson 115hp. Model # 115ESL73M Serial # J3862551 I have no spark on any cylinder. Can anyone give me a hint as to where I should start looking?
Thanks Greg

Easy things first,unhook your kill circuit,then check for spark.Is your starter cranking the engine fast enough,possibly try pulling your spark plugs out and crank it over to see if you got spark.Unhook your rectifier wires and check for spark.Take your ohmmeter and check resistance on the stator and trigger to make sure its within spec and also check that they're not grounging out.Eliminate everything then it comes down to the powerpack.

Unhook the black wire with the yellow stripe,that your kill circuit.Unhook the yellow wires on the terminal strip from your rectifier.

Look for black goo running down from under the flywheel/stator plate. Nearly all the 1973 V4's suffered from melted charge coils. Those are the coils that "charge" the power pack. Hopefully the coils have been replaced already, but it only takes a couple of seconds to look.

Do you have a multimeter ?-----If yes then test the sensor coils and charge coils.----Is the battery fully charged and load tested ?----Is the starter motor spinning it at least 250 RPM ?----Or you could simply install a new powerpack as that fixes them 9 out of 10 times.

Yes, I have about a dozen multimeters, but I don't know what a sensor coil is, or charge coils. I know coils, and I can see 4 of them, but I don't know how to test them. Yes, The motor is spinning adequately. Battery is fully charged, with a charger hooked up to it. About how many $ is a Powepack?

Yes. I have about a dozen multimeters, but I don't know the difference between a sensor coil, and a charge coil. I do know coils, and I can see 4 of them, but I don't know how to test them. About how many $ is a powerpack?

Yes---That is possible.-----But hurry to U-TUBE college as there likely is a video on how to test this simple ignition system.

Assuming it is the coil pack, and I spend $200 replacing it, and this motor runs like a top, is this 115 HP Johnson and controls worth $200 ? The 16 1/2' fiberglass boat itself, is junk. It does however, have a nice Shorelander, EZ Loader trailer under it.

Back