Logo

No Spark issues

Legendmaster

I have a 1991 Johnson 90 hp that has no spark. This engine has been in the shop and supposedly gone over with a multimeter by the techs. I don't know what they really done. So I have been watching about replacing the trigger base. My local marine dealer carried the correct one in which he ran an Ohm test to make sure the leads were all within specs. I installed the part with no issues. I connected my timing light gun to the plug wires and still no spark. The owner had gotten the replacement coils on line to include the wires as well. I'm a small engine tech for mowers, not boat engines. Lots more wiring involved. Any information would be awesome on troubleshooting this more in detail....thanks

all cyls are dead i assume
Yes all 4 cylinders are dead. I looked at the stator thinking it could be that. The color of the copper windings are not bright as they should be. I had disconnected the big red plug and looked in each of them to make sure there was no rust present and they were not sliding back away from each other.

No mention of the following so I have to say it.----Step #1 is to charge the battery and have the battery load tested.----If good then take starter apart for inspection / cleaning / Ohm check on armature / possibly new brushes.-----A 30 year old starter may have been " punished " by a novice.-----If flywheel turns too slow there will be no spark generated.

No mention of the following so I have to say it.----Step #1 is to charge the battery and have the battery load tested.----If good then take starter apart for inspection / cleaning / Ohm check on armature / possibly new brushes.-----A 30 year old starter may have been " punished " by a novice.-----If flywheel turns too slow there will be no spark generated.
New starter, new trigger base, new cranking battery, new coils, wires, plugs. On this engine the stator plugs into the trigger base, so I'm leaning against that or these non OEM coils are junk.

Never thought that the stator could be plugged into the timer base ( trigger )-----New tricks are invented everyday.

You can check the coils with an OHM meter with the same procedure you use for small engines . You can find many how to videos on U Tube that explain it.

Back