Logo

No shifting,no water flow

Contacted a old friend who is a marine mechanic(forgot).He has a lower end as we speak is being checked and is ok.
He will change the water pump,change my prop from a 13 3/4 21 to a 19.This will give me better low end as I believe not losing to much top end because of slightly higher rpm's.I believe the constant struggle to get on plane did not help my situation.The boat would only get about 3000rpm at take off,and about 3700 flat out,but that would be moving along at quite a good clip(45mph plus).This will cost me $650 with a 90 day warranty.
What do you guys think?good deal?
All I have to do is install the complete drive in one piece.

"This will cost me $650 with a 90 day warranty."
is this just a lower unit? SEI $695 w/ 3 year warranty
Stuck in the upper may mean the splines got tweaked, check the splines in the upper gear also for damage.

Last edited:
You really dont want to know what happened from here up to the powerhead, had a 5 blade HI-5 reduced to the size of a grapefruit.
propshaft.jpg

Yes this is only the lower unit,I had no idea it was that cheap.Are they available in ontario?I guess since he's throwing in the prop and I'm still keeping my original prop I don't feel too bad.Bt, I sure hope when my boat over reved there is no problem with the motor which I'm almost sure their isn't.I will remember that next time.I'd sure like to know if there is a dealer in the toronto area?Thanks for the info Bt.

Now my boat is a 305 and only 200hp or so .I would not even think of going to that type of prop.I just need to get on plane a little quicker.My splines were straight as an arrow.I still believe this all happened about the same time my shift cables came out of the control box in that rough weather.

Just rec'd the new lower unit,will install tommorrow.It was pressure tested and looks brand new compared to my damaged one .We also changed the prop from a 13 3/4-21,to 13 3/4 19.I'm only hoping that makes the difference from me struggling taking off.Never had any top end problems,in fact very quick.

Back