Logo

No Reverse - Need help confirming if it is my shift cam or follower cam

CHSKeywest1720

[FONT=&quot]Motor: 97, 75hp,2st, 3 cyl, Mercury Serial 0D283222.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Remote Control: Mercury Remote Control 88688A26 - good condition[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, Fira Sans, Droid Sans, sans-serif]16' Shift Cable: Removed from boat, I believe to be original, smooth, appears to be in great shape.[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, Fira Sans, Droid Sans, sans-serif]I have the lower unit off the motor and reassembled after replacing the bearing carrier assembly seals/housing. I'm able to locate forward and neutral by twisting the shift shaft CCW and checking the propshaft for proper output. However, when I click into the 3rd and final detent via the shift shaft (CCW) from neutral while rotating the drive shaft CW the prop will barely spin in the CCW for reverse, I do not hear any engagement of the gears, nor will the prop lock in place.

TLDR? - When my lower unit is off my motor, if I rotate shift shaft (CCW) into the reverse detent from neutral while turning the drive shaft CW, will I hear, feel, see, the prop turn in a reverse CCW) direction? Currently I'm unable to produce the situation above with my motor's lower unit, I believe the issue to be worn follower cam or shift cam. I can locate forward and neutral. I'm unable to locate reverse after reassembling the lower to the motor as well via the shift block on the engine either, I can however find forward and reverse.

-Would anyone be able to provide some advice as to how I should properly setup a new shifter cable after reassembling my lower unit (situation described above)? I know longer have the previous shifter cable as a reference nor do I take the measurement before I remove the previous cable. With my shift block flappin in the breeze due to the lower unit sitting on the ground pending repair, I'm unable to measure for the cables proper location yet.

picture of follower cam and dog clutch would be attached but I can't get it to populate.
[/FONT]

We can help with this. Did you know that you must have a file size less than 1000k?....to display here. Was there no problem before the carrier replacement? Is it the original unit....just R&R for seals and/or new bearing. What brought on the problem to begin with, or it it a new purchase and you don't have information?
Does this look like what we are working on?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201223-123814.jpg
    Screenshot_20201223-123814.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
We can help with this. Did you know that you must have a file size less than 1000k?....to display here. Was there no problem before the carrier replacement? Is it the original unit....just R&R for seals and/or new bearing. What brought on the problem to begin with, or it it a new purchase and you don't have information?
Does this look like what we are working on?

Tim Guy Making progress already, I think I figured it out. Thank you. I dragged the prop across a unmarked sandbar and the flanges cracked. Thankfully I wasn't far from the ramp and never had to use reverse. I replaced the original bearing carrier unit with a aftermarket piece from SEI. All new seals, bearings, etc. It's a nice piece. While waiting for SEI to ship the bearing carrier I decided to drop the lower unit to replace the impeller/seals/etc. I removed the bearing carrier, prop shaft/ dog clutch, thrust bearings, etc; everything else (forward gear, pinion, shift shaft, etc) I left alone as they appeared to be in good working order.

That is the correct diagram. I have been utilizing this manual (link below) for most of my troubleshooting references and used the serial provided in original post on mercury's website for parts diagrams as well as the

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1243283/Mercury-75.html

Attachments

• IMG-9678.jpg
    IMG-9678.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 32
Back