Logo

no neutro nor reverse on 1972 85hp johnson

Caslu4

hi I change a water pump on a 1972 85 hp Johnson but now I don't have neutro nor reverse just forward is my first time I will be glad if somebody help me thank

Recheck the green and blue wires that go down to your lower unit and make sure they are connected properly. Remember, the motor must be running and the lower unit filled with type "C" oil to shift properly.

The oil is used by the pump to put it in nuetral and reverse !!!!!!!!---------------It is spring loaded to go into forward when the motor is not running.------When the motor is running it goes into forward when NO POWER is applied to the solenoids.--------------If you have NO FORWARD when motor is stopped then it is a simple mechanical issue and nothing to do with oil.

I figured it out got the oil pump out and noticed the oil screen is destroyed and noticed the piston is stuck ,,is the piston supposed to slide back and fort freely ? and if so can i repair it ? THANKS:cool:

The shift piston is supposed to slide freely in the bore.-----Test it without the wee O-ring in there. --------If it is smooth and free then assemble with a new o-ring in the bore.

Back