Logo

No experience with inboards at all - need some help with inspecting engine blocks

SeaPair

I have access to many marine engines (about 16) for very low prices but have no experience with this stuff at all and am in need of getting some help on one item in particular right now.

There is a boat that is for sale locally that needs an engine block (says the marine dealer) and I have one sitting at the shop that is the right block but I have no idea if is a good block or not...for all we know it could be a new rebuild that was just ordered and has sat for a year or so (although I doubt it).

It is a chevy 5.0 which is what this boat I considering needs...the motor has been painted orange /red and is on a shipping crate / pallet.

I cannot find any paperwork yet and the mechanic who owned this (and all of the motors) has passed away leaving it all to his family..which has contacted me to eventually sell everything that is left.

Right now I would really like to figure out if there is a way for me to test this block somehow?

If it's a good block then I can get a nice setup for a very reasonable price.

Any advice is appreciated....also if you want to add anything on testing other engine / outdrive components I will be needing help in all areas going forward.

Thank you.
IMG_9238.jpgIMG_9239.jpgIMG_9240.jpgIMG_9241.jpg

If that is a 5.0L engine, it is a roller cam Vortec engine clearly shown by the cylinder heads.
Look at the far rear Port side of the block. The engine displacement will be cast into the block.
It will show either 5.0 or 5.7.

As I said in your other thread..... Uncle Bob probably obtained many of these parts via a replacement job...... which may mean that the parts themselves are in need of some type of repair. (generally perfect engines/drives etc, don't hang around the shop for long)

I think that you need to go after this with a fair amount of skepticism in that you do not assume that all of these parts are good.
Best case scenario.... you find some or many that are good.
With the engine in question, start by doing a compression test. If need be, do a cylinder pressure leak-down test.
Now days we can even enter a cylinder with a very sophisticated bore scope, and take a peek around.

As Rick says, you have a perfect opportunity to leak check those engine cylinders and do the compression test as it sits. Unless known to be good previously, I would, before continuing assembling, get it on a stand, pull the oil pan and check that bottom end. Check rods, mains, and pump at very least. Some time and a couple gaskets might save you headaches down the line. Also, inspect the lifter valley and block exterior thin areas closely for any sign of leakage that may indicate a crack. Just what I would do in this situation.

Back