Logo

Newby Needing Perko Switch Help

Hoppypoppy

I am mechanically illiterate. Period. So if you attempt to help me here, don't assume I know ANYTHING!! When I change out a part, I have the new one in hand before I take the old part off. Then it is, take off and replace one nut/bolt/screw at a time. Hence my problem. Someone else was doing some work on my boat and they took the Perko switch off. It needs to be replaced so I have one on order. Can someone tell me, with detailed instructions how to wire it? I have one 12 volt batt for the big motor (I/O) and two 12 volt batts to run a 24 volt trolling motor. (I have these two wired properly so that is not an issue) How do I wire the Perko so it controls all 3 batteries? Thank you anyone.

Thanks for any help,

Hoppypoppy

I am mechanically illiterate. Period. So if you attempt to help me here, don't assume I know ANYTHING!! When I change out a part, I have the new one in hand before I take the old part off. Then it is, take off and replace one nut/bolt/screw at a time. Hence my problem. Someone else was doing some work on my boat and they took the Perko switch off. It needs to be replaced so I have one on order. Can someone tell me, with detailed instructions how to wire it? I have one 12 volt batt for the big motor (I/O) and two 12 volt batts to run a 24 volt trolling motor. (I have these two wired properly so that is not an issue)

1....... How do I wire the Perko so it controls all 3 batteries?
I realize that this thread is weeks old by now..... but here's my two cents just the same!

1.... with two 12 volt batteries in series (for your trolling motor 24 volts), any connection of this bank (while in series) to the Perko MBSS will be at 24 volts. You will want to avoid this, or an accidental 24 volts could reach the engine and/or helm.

**You will need an isolator or charge controller specifically designed for this arrangement.

As per Kim's schematic "as is", you will have a single 12 volt battery source on MBSS selection #1 and #2.
If #2 is selected, the main engine harness will see this one battery at 12 volts, and will either draw from it, or will provide a charge rate to it.
However, the second battery (the other one connected in series) will not be seen.... nor have a means of receiving engine alternator charge.
(See ** above)

1.... http://mytriton.ripstips.com/tr21pwir.gif

2...... Make sure the ignition switch is off engine off when switching from one to two you will burn up the alternator.

1..... This schematic offers no means of main engine alternator charging to one of the "in series" batteries.
You will need more equipment (see ** above).

2.... Most all MBSSs today are "Make-before-Break", so switching between battery banks while the engine is running is not an issue..... just make sure that you do not switch to OFF or Through OFF while the engine is running!

Back