Logo

Newbie 79 Chrysler 75Hp gear box leak

Rupesy

I just inherited this boat and have no history on the motor other than it was just rebuilt. I do not even know if it was run after the rebuild, but I have had it out three times and so far it has been three typical boating adventures! At least we haven't sunk! First time out we had a good fun couple of hours and our way back to the dock (at dusk) the engine just cut out. No one in sight and didn't know what to check (no flashlight) so rowed half way across the lake to the dock. Next morning, found the fuse and reset (kicked myself a few times). Next time out ran good for a few hours and then cut out. Said to myself, I know what this is, but fuse was OK, put lid back on. Ahhhh the gas tank empty, have two, no problem. After that lost power, decided to call it a day as it was getting dark anyway. Next day found broken spark plug probably from when I put the cap back on (kicked myself a few times). Anyway, third time out all day and then sump pump started to fail. Didn't know where it was, was getting late anyway, so headed in. Next day found the sump pump and it was just clogged (kicked myself a few times). Which leads me to now. A few days after, I noticed the gear oil leaking out (see pic). I've looked a couple of diagrams and it looks like I just need to order a gasket.
1. Is this a common leak? What might have caused that? I am assuming if it is leaking out that water can leak in.
2. How difficult is it to drop the lower end? Doesn't look difficult. Anything to watch out for? I see about 6 bolts (3 per side) and then I see maybe two internal ones to separate the area where the gasket goes. I do have the service manual to follow instructions. Just like more pictures.
3. To drain I believe I have to loosen the top plug and bottom plug? To fill, you push gear oil up through bottom plug until it weeps out top plug?
4. What gear oil and what is the approx capacity?
5. Any suggestions for web pages on this motor specifically?

I grew up with a boat and a dad who fixed everything so I am not new to this, just haven't owned one myself. I remember seeing my dad dropping the gear box off to work on it, but it was a different engine. I have been doing my own automotive work for the last 30 years so I am up for any challenge. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_7393.JPG
    IMG_7393.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7394.JPG
    IMG_7394.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 16
Back