Logo

New User Help: Alpha 1 Gen 1 Sterndrive. Mercruiser 165

UPDATE:

Shop has diagnosed a leaking transom seal. So he said he can do this in 6 hours @ $80 an hour with a $7.00 part.

Ayuh,... The Odds are, the transom is Rotten....

Those seals rarely to never go bad by themselves...
'n generally speakin', it's the 1st sign of Rotten wood in the transom...

Ayuh,... The Odds are, the transom is Rotten....

Those seals rarely to never go bad by themselves...
'n generally speakin', it's the 1st sign of Rotten wood in the transom...

Or it was disassembled prior and reassembled with allot of sealer that has failed. Make sure the "DO NOT" apply any additional sealer to the new seal. IE...Silicone, 4200, 5200, life caulk.....

It just sickens me that the first shop missed this. They are after all, the Mercruiser Dealer here in town. I brought the boat in because the outdrive (I removed) after buying it, was dry, the jack shaft was wet inside, and I was in over my head.

They were given cart blanc to repair this boat. $3918.00 worth of work. They had the outdrive in their hands. They removed the engine to repair the nose where the engine mount goes. Surely when it is all apart, someone did not think to pull the Gimbel Housing and repair that area.

OK, that aside, we both erred. I should of stipulated that they were to fix things more clearly. They should of checked.

Alright---new shop (A man highly recommended by fisherman friends and ex cops who are spending their retirement money on Bass Boats) go to this
guy and have him check things, start over, and evaluate.

I am no fool. I am almost 60, mechanically inclined, I own 18 cars and trucks, I race a car SCCA production class, I've logged 2m miles behind the wheel of big rigs, I have 3 college degrees. I am not stupid.

(Except in buying boats-----used ones----:p),

Fix it. Fix it right. Fix it once. I'll pay the tab.

NEW SHOP: I am going out to see Tony today. I want to see the motor out, I want to personally climb back under that transom deck and look at things myself. If it looks sad, its to be replaced. If it has not been replaced, replace it....orders from the customer.

I will drop another grand into this boat just to make it turn key. Lick my wounds, and man up. I'm sitting on a car I bought in Phx, AZ that
I drive with kid gloves. The transmission is a 9k repair job if it goes out. The car is worth 1k. Treat it nicely it will crack 200k then I will be done with it. The same with the boat.

When someone helps me, does a good jor or screws up or attempts to take advantage of me I use TWITTER to let others know. Perhaps the previous shop would like to have their name Tweeted about how they refunded to you for their mistake or did not stand behind their work. In other words, do they want a good or bad TWEET to be on the web for eons? Give them time to think about if they want you to be happy w/them and get a good TWEET.

Two things, Mark:
1.... You are a good sport......
2.... I'm glad that you have the budget for this.

Just pretend that you went to the c a s i n o and dropped a wad! :D
Or had an expensive fishing trip, and came back empty handed! :D

Don't move forward without a full workscope "Quote" (not an estimate) that idenfies everything and the related charges..... and in written form.

It just sickens me that the first shop missed this. They are after all, the Mercruiser Dealer here in town. I brought the boat in because the outdrive (I removed) after buying it, was dry, the jack shaft was wet inside, and I was in over my head.

They were given cart blanc to repair this boat. $3918.00 worth of work. They had the outdrive in their hands. They removed the engine to repair the nose where the engine mount goes. Surely when it is all apart, someone did not think to pull the Gimbel Housing and repair that area.

OK, that aside, we both erred. I should of stipulated that they were to fix things more clearly. They should of checked.

Alright---new shop (A man highly recommended by fisherman friends and ex cops who are spending their retirement money on Bass Boats) go to this
guy and have him check things, start over, and evaluate.

I am no fool. I am almost 60, mechanically inclined, I own 18 cars and trucks, I race a car SCCA production class, I've logged 2m miles behind the wheel of big rigs, I have 3 college degrees. I am not stupid.

(Except in buying boats-----used ones----:p),

Fix it. Fix it right. Fix it once. I'll pay the tab.

NEW SHOP: I am going out to see Tony today. I want to see the motor out, I want to personally climb back under that transom deck and look at things myself. If it looks sad, its to be replaced. If it has not been replaced, replace it....orders from the customer.

I will drop another grand into this boat just to make it turn key. Lick my wounds, and man up. I'm sitting on a car I bought in Phx, AZ that
I drive with kid gloves. The transmission is a 9k repair job if it goes out. The car is worth 1k. Treat it nicely it will crack 200k then I will be done with it. The same with the boat.

In the first shops defense. Unless you specified that you wanted them to sea trial your boat before they gave the boat back to you, this leak would not be something you would see.

It is a matter of confidence. And attitude. Yes I can afford this. Actually I could afford a new Malibu jet drive flash boat if I wanted it.
I wanted this boat. I wanted it repaired. I took it to a dealer who specialized in Mercruiser drives.

I trusted (me being clueless) the first shop.
I do trust the 2nd shop (based on friends and gut feeling).

I have learned that for a few gallons of water in the area below the engine, and the nose of the boat up high, a leak would of been discovered.
It would seem logical to me if I ran a boat shop, to have:

(1) A pool to set the boat into to check for leaks
(2) A water hose to fill the engine bay up with water to check for leaks

prior to giving the boat back to the owner.

I sent an email to the first shop, which so far is invoked nothing in return. Shop #2 is repairing the boat.
Next week the boat goes back to the lake. There has been little rain in Central Cal, and lots of sunlight. I am
itching to go look at the Eagles nesting.

I will eat this as a life experience. But will not return to do business with Shop 1.

I am educating myself. I educated myself on what I own. This forum granted me the ability to question, evaluate and analyze my actions.
I learned more from this forum for which I should of entered BEFORE buying this boat. But I will man up, fix this, and enjoy my toy.

I am not stewing or seeking redress. Only trying to fix things without giving Shop 1 a 2nd bite at my pocketbook.

Last edited:
I sent an email to the first shop, which so far is invoked nothing in return.

You might consider writing a letter to the shop owner w/a copy to state attorney general at how disappointed you are in the service you received for what you were charged. Express to him/her your dissappointment and ask if they would consider a partial refund because you feel you were taken advantage of being a novice boater.

My attorney always advised me to never threaten someone with an action to obtain what you deserve; just do it. If you feel you were cheated you could investigate a small claims court action like the woman that is currently suing Honda in California small claims court for her vehicle failing to obtain 50 mpg as they advertized.

Working on it.

Along with a comment made by one of the techs to insure the hell out of it, take it to the middle of the lake and pull the plug. While the statement might of been made tongue and cheek, it goes to the core of the credibility of the shop and intent. I think the 1st shop is aware that the boat is now at another shop being evaluated--and repaired.

Shop 1 has my cell number. And home addy.

I'll be out later this week taking pictures of the transom, stern and other components I paid for. Meanwhile, I looked at a Gulfstream today with a 351c Ford and a Mercruiser out drive. A bit more boat than I wanted but I know Ford engines. And, am learning loads about Mercruiser out drives :) And the drive was re sealed--not by Shop 1.

I want my boat fixed. I don't need it gold lined nor do I own an oil well. This Gulfsteam might be a great backup boat. My uppity neighbors already stress over my race cars and other assorted toys. Two boats behind the gates might make them unstable.

Considering I am the only one free and clear in the mortgage column....

Two boats behind the gates might make them unstable.
Got any friends that would park their boats in your yard for a week or two just to raise the neighbors' ire? Good luck on the #1 shop.

with a 351c Ford and a Mercruiser out drive. A bit more boat than I wanted but I know Ford engines.

Ayuh,.... Mercruiser NEVER used the Cleveland motor....

Only the Windsor....

My bad! I bought the Gulfstream last night. YUPPERS! Large spark plugs. Like the 302.
BTW, we (dog and I) are going to the lake today. With the new Gulfstream.

Now I'm telling you, if this unit leaks I am in line for a 72 hour lockup at County General in one of those special
rubber rooms...

Now I'm telling you, if this unit leaks I am in line for a 72 hour lockup at County General in one of those special
rubber rooms...
Buying another old Merc boat and going out for the first test run with just you and the dog???
I think that you've been ready for "lock up" for some time now! :D

You are apparently new to boating!
Take a backup boat and buddy with you, have a working VHF, perhaps a cell phone, and let someone know exactly where you will be, and what time you plan to return.
I'd suggest this no matter which engine/drive package you have.

This is not a new boat, and who knows what the PO may have done and/or may have misrepresented to you.
In comes that "common sense" mentioned earlier. :D

OK.... I can't bite my tongue any longer.

Thus far you have subtly mentioned :rolleyes: cart blanc , no mortgage, smart, common sense, I am no fool, I am almost 60, mechanically inclined, I own 18 cars and trucks, I race a car SCCA production class, I've logged 2m miles behind the wheel of big rigs, I have 3 college degrees, I am not stupid, etc!
Now add to this that you are paying to have this work done due to ____ reasons!

So I have to ask....., why are you messing around with an old Merc powered boat.... or any old boat, for that matter?

I'm asking seriously, no smart a$$ or ill intent... just curious! :)

Last edited:
Good question with no intent taken.

What makes America great. Diversity! And individualism. I march to the beat of my own drum. And do my own thing. I do not live to impress anyone with toys. It is not what you have but what you are.

Life has been good to me. I enjoy every aspect of life. I have been surely blessed.

Shop #2 called this morning. We are pulling the power unit from the Renken then retiring the hull. It is not worth putting anymore money into it.
I'm waiting for the fog to lift a bit then heading out to the new shop to get mega photos of the soon to be retired boat. The power unit is going
to be a re-power on that Bayliner I had my eye on. There is a nice Bayliner which would be a fun float in Monterey Bay that needs a power unit. This Alpha 1 and 250 six would be a perfect match.

I am very happy to have stumbled upon this 2nd shop. Honesty and integrity is a lost virtue in California.

After the photo shoot for possible legal action the Gulfstream and I are heading to the lake.

Everyone thanks for your help.

Good question with no intent taken.

What makes America great. Diversity! And individualism. I march to the beat of my own drum. And do my own thing. I do not live to impress anyone with toys. It is not what you have but what you are.

Life has been good to me. I enjoy every aspect of life. I have been surely blessed.

Shop #2 called this morning. We are pulling the power unit from the Renken then retiring the hull. It is not worth putting anymore money into it.
I'm waiting for the fog to lift a bit then heading out to the new shop to get mega photos of the soon to be retired boat. The power unit is going
to be a re-power on that Bayliner I had my eye on. There is a nice Bayliner which would be a fun float in Monterey Bay that needs a power unit. This Alpha 1 and 250 six would be a perfect match.

I am very happy to have stumbled upon this 2nd shop. Honesty and integrity is a lost virtue in California.

After the photo shoot for possible legal action the Gulfstream and I are heading to the lake.

Everyone thanks for your help.

OK if you do this with cars that is one thing, but to waste and I mean waste time on old and I mean old technology and call it "doing my own thing",

You are in for some costly surprises..................

If it were me and I am glad it is not, Stick with 1986 and newer, get away from the inline six, (the outdrive ratio is unique 1.65:1 for inline 6).

Get into V6/V8 motors and you will be much happier for a longer period of time. With your background this should be what you are best at.

There is no real satisfaction in throwing good money after bad.....................This has nothing to do with Diversity and individualism, it has to do with common sense and careful thought, looking before leaping................etc etc etc.

JMHO

We are pulling the power unit from the Renken then retiring the hull. It is not worth putting anymore money into it.
If it's diversity that you desire how much more diverse can you be w/an I-6 Renken? Don't let a little transom rot stop you...you've rebuilt everything else. The "Rot Doctor" web site has a step-by-step rebuild procedure. :cool:

Back