Logo

New to outboards, possible leak!

TStarling2

Good evening, I am set to purchase an 88 Javelin equipped with a 235 HP Johnson VRO, the engine seems to run fine when hooked to water, but there appears to be a leak on the bottom of the foot where water is coming out. I am unsure if this is broken or meant to be from factory. I have attached photos for reference, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• FD7AE976-F5FC-460F-A514-1436442C5243.jpeg
    FD7AE976-F5FC-460F-A514-1436442C5243.jpeg
    651.6 KB · Views: 23
  • CA286DA9-3EFE-4608-A0D4-1BAC2AD8B96C.jpeg
    CA286DA9-3EFE-4608-A0D4-1BAC2AD8B96C.jpeg
    424.2 KB · Views: 18
Normal.------They all sound good on a hose.----Compression test to be done.----Or test it in the lake.----1985 was the last year for the 235 HP.

Last edited:
Normal.------They all sound good on a hose.----Compression test to be done.----Or test it in the lake.----1985 was the last year for the 235 HP.

I may have found a new problem! I’m more of a newb than I thought! The motor is a 235 Johnson and the boat states it’s rated for 150HP max. Will the transom hold up to this motor? Or is this 18’ boat now a death trap waiting to happen? Anyone got any experience over powering a boat? From what the guy is telling me the 235 has been on the boat for 4 years at this point.

Of greater issue is the liability issue. Rest assured, somebody will be ready to sue if you should have an accident.

Of greater issue is the liability issue. Rest assured, somebody will be ready to sue if you should have an accident.

I’m not crazy worried about that part as I never plan to be negligent, I own fast cars and bikes and understand there is a time and place for everything and consider myself a responsible guy, but I do understand accidents happen. I won’t be on the lake winding it out, I just want to be sure I’m not going to rip the transom off the boat trying to pull a skier or tube.

Can't vouch for an unknown transom, but it should not "rip the transom off the boat trying to pull a skier or tube.", if in good condition. Rot?? well that's another story.

Can't vouch for an unknown transom, but it should not "rip the transom off the boat trying to pull a skier or tube.", if in good condition. Rot?? well that's another story.

I appreciate your time and help brother, I’ll probably steer clear of the boat. It seems to be in awesome condition and very well looked after but 235 seems a bit ludicrous considering the 150’s pushed these boats in the high 50’s with a 4 blade prop. The only reason I considered disregarding the sticker was the deal the guy was giving on the boat, maybe no one will buy it due to the motor haha.

Back