Logo

New to me, need info

cdn1972

I am purchasing a 1967 Starcraft Suncruiser with a Mercruiser 160 in it.
Can anyone give me any tips or info on the engine and out drive.
My plans are to replace the carpet and a few touch ups but everything else is mint. Engine bay is clean, power tilt works flawless. I will change the fuel lines, fuel pump and a complete tuneup so it should have a easy time next spring.
Any other things to look at?

most parts for the drive are NLA, GM inline 6 is still common and parts available.serial number of engine would be helpful

most parts for the drive are NLA, GM inline 6 is still common and parts available.serial number of engine would be helpful

I will post the serial numbers next weekend when i pick up the boat.
Was the drive a good one or not is my worst fear, I am in automotive so engine and electrical parts are not a problem.

I am purchasing a 1967 Starcraft Suncruiser with a Mercruiser 160 in it.
Can anyone give me any tips or info on the engine and out drive.
My plans are to replace the carpet and a few touch ups but everything else is mint. Engine bay is clean, power tilt works flawless. I will change the fuel lines, fuel pump and a complete tuneup so it should have a easy time next spring.
Any other things to look at?

If you are absolutley set on purchasing a boat this old knowing as said above most outdrive parts are unavailable not to mention many other parts on the engine then purchase it.

this boat is 46 years old........unless it is a awsome mahogany then there is no nastalgic value....many clean newer boats out there with newer and servicable and purchasable parts, not to mention better technology!!

Just my opinion....

Walk all over the floor feeling for soft spots. When you remove the old carpet you'll probably find it needs a new floor. When you remove the old floor you'll probably find it needs major stringer repair...rot. While you have the floor off remove the fuel tanks and clean/replace them. Same for the transom...probe around the thru bolts and drain for rot. Unless you can probe the entire stucture w/an awl (ice pick) and find it solid run from it. I agree w/kghost...too many newer boats on the market. You may be getting a "great deal" on this boat but the "great deal" is more than likely a "great money pit". BT&DT.

I agree most times the great deal is not. Here is the story, Im buying it from the widow of the original owner from new. The original outside has but a few dings from dock etc, out drive is mark free. The seat material is replaced as is the new convertible top. The engine is clean and dry. I vacation on the great lakes and my 14ft boat is too small for big water and this boat is complete with radio and electronics. I have restored two boats for weekend use before, one glass and one aluminum and i work in the automotive parts so standard stuff is easy for me and cheap. This boat would allow me to venture into better fishing and some travel for a very small price. Im just looking for some tips as this is my first i/o. Im a Merc Outboard guy on smaller craft. I have owned a boat or two for about 30 years and seen many bad buys, yes it is old and outdrive parts obsolete but at the price I can not let it go.

Inspect as I stated above and you might have even more leverage to get it even cheaper. I've gutted a 19.5' runabout and installed everything new structurally and electrically...it is a lot of dirty work. It sounds like you will have a great boat for the Great Lakes. It's good that you'll be able to do your own engine work...those straight GM 6 cyl. are real workhorses. If the OD's fail you may be able to use new SEI brand ODs for 1/2 the cost of Mercs. They come w/3 yr. "no questions asked" warrantys.

So I need to winterize and store it after i get the boat this weekend. What should I do?

Ayuh,.... Has it been run,..?? drain the water out of it,...

What have you, or haven't you done to it,..??

How well mothballed was it when ya found it,..??

Probe the drain holes in the block and manifolds after you pull the plugs w/a heavy piece of solder or wire to loosen any rust. Change the LU oil and engine oil and filter and fuel filters. Treat the fuel w/preservative, run the engine and fog it. Grease all fittings. A manual would help.

Probe the drain holes in the block and manifolds after you pull the plugs w/a heavy piece of solder or wire to loosen any rust. Change the LU oil and engine oil and filter and fuel filters. Treat the fuel w/preservative, run the engine and fog it. Grease all fittings. A manual would help.

Thanks
I have read the boot that covers the coupler is a potential problem. Should I spray it with anything to treat it?

Kevin

boot that covers the coupler is a potential problem
Do you mean the drive shaft bellows? Nothing gets sprayed on any bellows. Just inspect for cracks or checking on all 3 bellows. No boot on the engine coupler behind the flywheel...just 1 grease fitting. Store the OD in the down position.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...FT+HOUSING+ASSEMBLY+AND+BELL+HOUSING+ASSEMBLY for reference see #39 & 44 drive shaft bellows and exhaust bellows. There should also be a shift cable bellows.

Did you grease all the bell hsg. fittings exps. the gimbal bearing?

Last edited:
Back