Logo

New to me E35RCRR replace water pump et cet

larsalan

Howdy,
I am new to all these outboards and just got an E35RCRR. I fired it up in a bucket, noticed it wasn't pumping any water so I guess at least the impeller and pump all need replaced. I also now see there is a thermostat? Can anyone explain the role of the thermostat here? Shouldn't that visual water pisser hole be pumping water 100% of the time?

Thanks in advance

Facts for you.--As soon as your motor starts there should be flow from the tell tale.-------The thermostat has nothing to do with the tell tale ( pisser )------The water from the pisser does NOT circulate through the block.-----Water in a test bucket MUST be 6 to 8" above the impeller.-----A rule on a " new to you motor " says----INSTALL A NEW IMPELLER ---before launching the boat !-----There is a lot to be learned with owning an outboard.-----And outboards rarely wear out.-----They end up on the scrap pile due to owner neglect / careless operation !

Thanks for your speedy reply. So just replace the impeller and water pump housing stuff for now? Or are there any other maintenance items I shall address right off hand?

37 years old.
Here is what I do on all newly acquired vintage motors (non-points models) assuming compression is good. Lower unit servicing, which includes full water pump kit and change lower unit fluid to check for water.
Entire new fuel system, lines, carb rebuild kit, and fuel pump. Thermostat, and any associated gaskets.
New correct spark plugs.
Tank test, then boat test.

Jim

Back