Logo

New to Hondas-seeking information.

longboardrnk

Bought a BF225 (2004), dealer motor(1020) hrs, w/comprehensive maintenance. Compression is between 205-210-215.
Have no experience w/Hondas. Any info would help. Ive read horror stories. Thanks!

Attached is a list of issues with the Honda 200/225. Note that it is two pages, so print it and put the pages side by side.

One thing you need to check right away is the third item on the list - the intermediate drive shaft bearing. Drop the lower unit like you are going to change the water pump and look up the drive shaft and check that the mid-shaft bearing is in good shape. If it fails, it will eat a hole in the front of your lower cowling.

If you are not familiar with these engines, I highly recommend that you invest in the official Helm Shop manual. Don't waste your time on the after-market manuals - too many errors and omissions. If you order online, make sure it is the early manual for your engine.

Also, here is a link to a manual that you can get online. It is about 95+% correct for your engine. It is a PDF file, so you can save it to your computer.

I'm also attaching a very detailed maintenance schedule just to show you what you need to check and replace at different time intervals.

Attachments

• Honda Gripe List_Updated 7_12_19.pdf
    74.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Maintenance Schedule Honda BF 200 and BF 225 UPDATED.pdf
    145.5 KB · Views: 11
Bought a BF225 (2004), dealer motor(1020) hrs, w/comprehensive maintenance. Compression is between 205-210-215.
Have no experience w/Hondas. Any info would help. I've read horror stories. Thanks!
Below are items maintained listed in the service report: There is no history prior to this report, yet.
2021: Changed oil, fuel filters, thermostat, lower unit oil and water pump. Painted motor white.
2022: Replaced plastic fuel lift pump ( it was leaking), Replaced spark plugs and all six coils. (we had a cylinder misfiring which would come and go, and this fixed it. Replaced oil, oil filter, lower unit oil, and water pump kit. Replaced all fuel filters.
2023: Removed and cleaned the fuel system. The VST tank was very clean. Replaced the high- pressure fuel pump. The old pump was ok but we decided to replace it since we had the VTS tank off the motor and the pump appeared to be the original one. Had injectors serviced. Replaced the end caps and O rings on the injectors. Cleaned and checked spray pattern, and flow tested. Replaced the thermostats. Replaced the anodes in the exhaust manifold. Replaced the shaft bushing in the mid-section housing. Replaced the water pump kit and changed the lower unit oil. No water was in the oil. Checked compression (as above) and ran diagnostics (no fault codes found.)

Attached is a list of issues with the Honda 200/225. Note that it is two pages, so print it and put the pages side by side.

One thing you need to check right away is the third item on the list - the intermediate drive shaft bearing. Drop the lower unit like you are going to change the water pump and look up the drive shaft and check that the mid-shaft bearing is in good shape. If it fails, it will eat a hole in the front of your lower cowling.

If you are not familiar with these engines, I highly recommend that you invest in the official Helm Shop manual. Don't waste your time on the after-market manuals - too many errors and omissions. If you order online, make sure it is the early manual for your engine.

Also, here is a link to a manual that you can get online. It is about 95+% correct for your engine. It is a PDF file, so you can save it to your computer.

I'm also attaching a very detailed maintenance schedule just to show you what you need to check and replace at different time intervals.
Chawk-Man, Thank you! I know nothing about these engines. I appreciate your reply!

Thanks! I responded to my own thread with a list of maintenance in the past couple of years. The only thing I don't see is r/r O2 sensors. Should I replace them w/o any issues?

Below are items maintained listed in the service report: There is no history prior to this report, yet.
2021: Changed oil, fuel filters, thermostat, lower unit oil and water pump. Painted motor white.
2022: Replaced plastic fuel lift pump ( it was leaking), Replaced spark plugs and all six coils. (we had a cylinder misfiring which would come and go, and this fixed it. Replaced oil, oil filter, lower unit oil, and water pump kit. Replaced all fuel filters.
2023: Removed and cleaned the fuel system. The VST tank was very clean. Replaced the high- pressure fuel pump. The old pump was ok but we decided to replace it since we had the VTS tank off the motor and the pump appeared to be the original one. Had injectors serviced. Replaced the end caps and O rings on the injectors. Cleaned and checked spray pattern, and flow tested. Replaced the thermostats. Replaced the anodes in the exhaust manifold. Replaced the shaft bushing in the mid-section housing. Replaced the water pump kit and changed the lower unit oil. No water was in the oil. Checked compression (as above) and ran diagnostics (no fault codes found.)
That's all good. But as I wrote earlier, check that mid-shaft bearing. (Actually it's a bushing.)

You need to learn how to pull fault codes by shunting the red service connector. Instructions are attached. If you don't get an HO2 fault, leave it alone. I'm still on my original HO2 sensor on my '07 225 with about 2300 hours on it.

Also, I've attached another document which shows what the fault codes mean.

Attachments

• Procedure for Getting Fault Codes.pdf
    189.6 KB · Views: 4
  • MIL Fault Codes Scanned.pdf
    85.1 KB · Views: 7
Back