Logo

New Point= Bad

6tring

Contributing Member
Tune up on Johnson 1973 9.5 hp. Complete overall... Water pump and impellor, thermostat, carb rebuild, head gasket, gear oil and pressure test, points, condensers, coils and plugs. Used coil locating ring and timing fixture to fine tune and time.. Could not get any current reading when giving a try to set timing. Double checked connection and ohm meter= good. I am puzzled at this time. Never had this occur on my other projects. Checked connections once again=good. I removed points and took a continuity test on them =Fail.
Brand new BRP points. Would not pass current through contacts. Wiped with acetone still no current passage. Resorted to polish contacts with 600 fine paper. Test = Pass Some kind of coating with high resistance on the new contact points.

Motor starts runs great.

Thought I would share.

Back in the day I do not recall having to clean new breaker points.----They were a " high volume " item.----But today they sit on a shelf for long time.----They form a thin oxide coating that must be polished off.-----Just the nature of it all today.

Yeah, I agree. In addition to age, I suspect it has something to do with the alloy used in the contacts. BTW, back in "The Day", Wico points would develop an obvious oxide that looked like white mold.

Back