Logo

new owner 1990 Carver with Volvo Penta outdrive

wesleyj

does anyone know where i can purchase some used parts for a 1990 carver with a volvo penta outdrive it appears i need a suspension h fork (boat has trim) and a steering helment i am new to boating and not sure where to turn for help i would greatly appreciate any help or advice thanks

Re: new owner

scroll up this page - see where it says "free classifieds"...
You can post a wanted ad there for free.

This is called a "suspension fork" (aka "main suspenion fork").... misnomerly referred to as an "H" bracket.

In 1990, Volvo Penta was still offering some of the so called "Small Pin" 290 drives. This is NOT the actual drive designation.
You'll need to be clear as to which drive you have.
Easiest method is to see how the hydraulic cylinders attach to the suspension fork.
If the cylinders attach to a SS hinged bracket, then this suspension fork will work.
This would be the early style that has the latch unit.

If the cylinders attach directly to the suspension fork (no latch unit), then this would be one of the "C" and later drives...... but doubtful.

There are some being offered on e-Bay occassionally.
Just make sure that you purchase the correct one.

Also be very careful when removing the pivot tube.
These are relatively soft, and can become damaged easily..... (upper and lower end surfaces being very important to NOT damage).
Great time to re-seal the drive, replace bellows, water neck fitting, and even the shift cable since the clamp is more accessible.

Do your pressure/vacuum "leak-down" test before pulling the drive apart (oil drained, of course).

Post some photos of your drive. It will help in determining which one you have. :)

Sorry for the off-topic post but are the pits I see on the above pics due to salt water corrosion? Wow...am I ever glad I boat in fresh water! :)

Wesley, you've got some serious corrosion going on there, my friend.

That is the earlier drive style, as I suspected.... the one that uses the smaller hinge pins and the Anchorage Bracket that swings from the suspension fork.
Cylinders then attach to this bracket.

The suspension fork that requires this bracket should work as a replacement. They are quite different from one another.... you won't mistake the two.
The later fork does not have provisions, and the cylinders attach directly to the suspension fork.

Be sure to watch for and inventory all shims when you remove the transmission from the Intermediate housing. They must all go back in..... unless you also change out the Intermediate housing... in which case there are also some shims above one bearing race.

If you need help, we can set up a phone call if you'd like to.

rick,
thank you for your help.
as you can tell it is in bad shape and i am unable to find any part numbers actually on the unit to replace it
i have found one on ebay i think will work but how can i be sure it is the right one before i purchase it?

Post a link to the e-Bay auction. I'll take a look at it.

Meanwhile....... Grant at Sea-n-Ski-VolvoPenta has p/n 854100 on auction.
Look up your drive, and verify the p/n.
He is usally very expensive, but sells very good condition parts only.
The one currently on auction is apparently new.

7022_12.JPG

About the cheapest you'll find a good used one, will be around $300.
Make sure that your anchorage bracket is not bent from the impact damage.
I do have a new anchorage bracket, if interested.
Unfortunately, I do not have the fork.

Keep in mind while you are searching, this part is often called anything (from the correct name of "suspension fork"), to "H-bracket", to "steering fork" and even "Gimbal Ring"!
Sometimes Penta is spelled "Pinta".
So use an array of key words in your search.

Last edited:
rick,
yes that is the one on ebay i found i have also found a couple more but my delima is that my current outdrive is in bad shape and i am unable to locate any part numbers on it is there any other way to correctly identify the part or other places i can go to help determine exactly what drive i have? thanks
wesley

Back