Logo

New Outdrive, New Gear Ratio?

picard328

Greetings,

Unfortunately I've found myself needing a new sterndrive. My boat (2000 glastron gs229 cuddy) came equipped with an SX-M 1.51 ratio, paired with a 5.7GS engine. I've found a good deal on a rebuilt SX drive but it's a 1.60 ratio. Anyone here have an opinion on whether this will work? I'm hoping that if I change prop pitch and upgrade to stainless I could make up for the bigger ratio and not lose much performance. Will I tend to lose more out of the hole or top speed with a given prop? I'll save about $1200 from the cheapest 1.51 unit I've found.

Another option I'm told is to go with a DP-S lower unit, which is more $ but should add quite a bit of performance.

Hoping someone out there has tried this and can share your results, thanks!

The reason that the 1.51:1 ratio can be used, is due to the smaller 22 foot hull.
Typically, the 1.6:1 would be correct for this engine in a larger hull.

You'd best check with Volvo Penta as to the DP-S working with a SX-M.
I know that when doing an OMC Cobra to Volvo Penta Duo Prop, the DP-S must be used.
I have always thought that this excluded the DP-SM or SX-M drives.
Check with V/P on this.

The Duo Prop lower is definitely the best bang for the buck... but likely over-kill for a 22 footer.

Cool, thanks for the response. Anyone have any suggestions on how to package an outdrive for shipping? It's coming from a private seller and being picked up by a trucking company.

Back