Logo

new impeller, housing, inner housing, still no water flow

I just installed a new impeller, housing, inner housing, housing seal, o-ring, and water tube rubber bushing, but still no water flow. pulled the foot, got out my drill, and tested in a barrel of water. I had it submerged to the level of the pump, still no flow. pulled the impeller housing and double checked the impeller key, it was fine. put it all back together, tank tested it again,,still no flow!<br> this motor had been badly overheated, thermostat had to be cut out, as it was melted into a glob. i have not replaced it yet but the gasket and cover seem to be all right. motor fires right up and runs fine, but gets hot pretty fast so i have not ran it more then 1 or 2 min.<br> Been hearing a lot about the o-ring at the top of the water tube, and likley I need to replace thatas well, but i cant  even get flow with just the foot in the test tank!<br> PLEASE HELLLLP motor is a Evinrude 1996 model E10RELEDD 9.9 remote electric start.

Water in your test tank must be 6 or 8" above the impeller.----Factory parts used or something else ?
Something else, but they seemed to fit well. So to test the gear box detached from the motor, I will have to install a 9 or 10" temporary tube in the pump to see if the water is flowing, or reach my hand below the water to feel it, sound right?

Well as long as the pump is below the water in your test, you should see flow, so a tube will not have to be so long. Shaft will spin at about 700 rpm at idle. The reason we say water level should be higher above the pump.....is just to be safe while running in a tank with exhaust bubbling away as well as prop turbulence.

Are the impellers cupped in the right direction. Most motors run clockwise. Check you manual so you have the have the impeller installed in the correct direction to get water to flow out. Check some You Tube videos on impeller replacement. That should help.

These pumps are elegantly simple.-----Hard to assemble one that would not work.------I have never had to test one with a drill.-----Folks do not appear to realize that these pumps are not self priming.----Water needs too be 6 or 8" above the impeller.

Agreed, Racer. I too have never had to test one with a drill. I can say for certain, however, that the material that engineers call "rubber" today.....has about 1/4th the life in an impeller application, as real latex rubber bonded to copper alloy hubs used in 40's, 50's, 60's, and into the 70's. Granted that modern pumps, by design, are more likely to fail.....even if they were made of high quality latex. Why? The impeller has taller, thinner fingers, with a tighter wrap. Why? Perhaps it has to do with developing higher pressure/volume.......but perhaps it has to do with developing money in engineer's pockets. It's apparent to me, and has been for decades, that engineers are paid to make stuff fail.....at just the right time that consumers still kinda feel ....that they got a good deal anyway.....and it's all normal "wear and tear".

It is all about the cost of manufacturing a product.---Selling that product to make money.------If consumers have choices and buy a competitors product you have to compete.-------Having said that I too enjoy " old time " products.-----I have a real TROYBILT rototiller about 30 years old.------I chuckle when I see a modern TROYBILT tiller.----Just a joke to me.

Yessir.....my Troybilt is so old that it's gonna make YOURS look new. It's a 1960 model. Starts first pull every time....got big gardens here.....I drive a 1974 Chev truck because I CAN.....I want to. If it needs a fuel pump, I can change it without crackin' a sweat.....while standing up.

Make sure when you stab the foot into the midsection, the water tube in the midsection lines up with the pump. That tube can move to the side completely miss the pump. I have had this happen before.

If your old and/or poor vision, you can use a dental mirror. I wear contacts and use cheater glasses.....only missed once.....cost me about 500 bucks. Told the guy to watch for pee hole, but I think he was looking at the girls in the front of the pontoon instead.

Last edited:
Back