Logo

new impeller but no water through the Tell Tell

Roger104

I just bought an 86 model Alumacraft with a 35 hp Mercury ( 86 model also). At first the motor did not have spark. I posted on this forum a couple of times and the motor runs fine now. I knew that since I had turned the engine over so often that I would need to replace the impeller. The engine did pee with the old one but the stream was weak (no flowmax jokes please......well, OK, just one). Anyway, I pulled the lower unit after watching dozens of youtube videos. Replacing the impeller was an easy job. I did have to make a top gasket but everything seemed to seal down. I inserted the impeller by turning the main shaft clockwise while pressing down on the water pump housing. I reinstalled the lower unit and hooked my muffs and started the motor. No water came out of the Tell Tell. After waiting for about 60 seconds I cut the engine off. I removed the foot again and double checked everything. I installed the foot again, using straps to help hold the unit as I double checked the water tube to insure that it was pushing into the top of the water pump. Now, when I start the engine, I do not get any water from the Tell Tell but there is air pressure as I can feel it blowing against my finger. I do not believe that the Tell Tell is plugged. Next, I removed the muffs, and put the biggest tub I had under the engine and filled the water up to the bottom fin. Again, all I get is air pressure but no water. I do have some water coming out of the two small exhaust ports, as I would expect. What I have done wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The water level has to be several inches above the WATER PUMP.....That plate, (anti-cavitation), is BELOW the pump. Your water muffs should force water into the pump and it should indicate through the "water display discharge opening". If not, perhaps there is a blockage at the intake side of pump.

Last edited:
timguy, thanks for the advice. I actually went out and bought a rubber trash can tonight. I will place the engine in it tomorrow and fill it up and see what happens. Thanks again.

Problem solved. Thanks to timguy for the hint. When I took the foot off the first time, there was no slinger seal on the shaft above the water pump housing. I ordered one from Amazon two weeks ago. It still hasn't arrived. I got tired of missing fishing days so I made one from a 3/4" hose, to match the ones I saw on YouTube. The seal apparently was blocking the water to the pump. I removed the foot, removed the homemade seal and put it back together. Everything seems to be working just fine now. Thanks again for the help.

Way to go, Roger. Now about fishing.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210313-212723~2.png
    Screenshot_20210313-212723~2.png
    616.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back