Logo

New honda owner needs advice

Markj

Hey guys, I am new here and have very little experience with outboard engines. I recently bought a 2006 honda 90 that has been sitting for about 3 years. The motor will run with the warm up lever all the way up, but will not idle. My primer bulb goes soft as soon as I crank it over, so it's losing prime. I can prime the bulk with it disconnected from the engine and it stays firm, so I must be losing prime on the engine side. I replaced the anti siphon valve but still losing prime. I cannot see any leaks in my fuel lines or carbs. Where should I start? I know the carbs need cleaning, but would that cause it to lose prime?

Nope----It is normal for the primer bulb to go soft when egine is consuming fuel.--------That would be while running or cranking over.

I highly recommended that you get the HONDA MARINE CARBURETION MANUAL before opening up these little carbs.
The manual will pretty much make you a quick study, Honda carb pro with one read through and then will serve as an excellent reference source whenever you need it.
These carbs are VERY finicky and demanding when it comes to getting them cleaned PROPERLY. And, without the insight the manual provides, right up front, most people.....even seasoned carb rebuild professionals.....are unlikely to to have a good experience their first time out.
I know many here will say AMEN to this. Worth every penny!!
Welcome aboard the forum

Forgot to say that "first read through" is an easy one. Lots of illustrations and photos with color enhanced circuit operation guides.
And no, I don't own stock in the publication :>)

Just a BEAUTIFUL thang!

Good luck.

I highly recommended that you get the HONDA MARINE CARBURETION MANUAL before opening up these little carbs.
The manual will pretty much make you a quick study, Honda carb pro with one read through and then will serve as an excellent reference source whenever you need it.
These carbs are VERY finicky and demanding when it comes to getting them cleaned PROPERLY. And, without the insight the manual provides, right up front, most people.....even seasoned carb rebuild professionals.....are unlikely to to have a good experience their first time out.
I know many here will say AMEN to this. Worth every penny!!
Welcome aboard the forum

2Times on this.

added advice, Find someone who has an ultra sonic tank and cook the carbs for a few hours.

I sure hope the tech you choose is a good one. Your post made it sound as if you were working on a yourself and that you had some mechanical knowledge. If that's not the case, then using a professional's help would be wise. But, it is paramount that the person or shop you hire is a competent, experienced one completely familiar with the Honda carbs.

Wishing you much success.

I sure hope the tech you choose is a good one. Your post made it sound as if you were working on a yourself and that you had some mechanical knowledge. If that's not the case, then using a professional's help would be wise. But, it is paramount that the person or shop you hire is a competent, experienced one completely familiar with the Honda carbs.

Wishing you much success.

UPDATE: We cleaned the carbs and changed the engine oil and spark plugs and it fired right up and purred like a kitten. We then discovered the water pump impeller needs to be replaced, but at least we got it going. The water pump will be an easy fix.

Back