Logo

New gas tank for older Honda B100

nlife

Hi all,

Recently joined the forum after acquiring a new to me 14' Lund. I've also borrowed my brothers old Honda (serial B100-1000179) and am looking to replace the original gas tank that came with it. It sat for about 10 years with close to 2g of gas in it. I drained the gas and noticed a LOT of rust. My question is what do I need?

We have Attwood and Neptune tanks locally, but I'm not sure what else I'll need to get the complete compatible setup for the old Honda. I see fittings for Mercury, Yamaha and a few others locally. Can I cannibalize parts like the motor connector from the original line for use with a new line? I think I already know the answer to this, but thought I'd ask anyway because I didn't see the Honda motor connector there.

I am in Canada and our tanks are not the same pressurized tanks in the US. I'm hoping that the old motor connector will suffice.

Since I'll be buying a universal fuel line (no motor or gas tank fittings) I'll also buy the Sprayless adaptor for the tank end.

I'm also wondering about size of the tank. I've picked up the 6g tank because it was the last one they had, but can always return it if need be. I think it's a bit large because the old Honda seems to sip fuel. I've been out 3 times now for a total of about 12 hours on the original 3.4g tank and I'm still above 1/2 tank. I guess I don't have to fill the new tank all the way up and the price difference between a 3G and a 6g tank is marginal at $5. Thoughts on this as well?

As a new boater I really appreciate any input provided.

Neil

Not sure what you mean by "pressurized tanks in the U.S."......
Our tanks are vented to atmosphere. If the vent valve is left closed, a vacuum will build in the tank and stop the flow of fuel, killing the engine. I'm pretty sure yours should be the same.

Yes, just take what you need from the old tank to make the connection. Using the old fittings is perfectly fine.

I agree that 6 gallons is a lot but it really boils down to what do you need to do what you do on the water? A 3 gallon tank is usually sufficient and takes up less valuable space. But, having additional capacity for an extended run is always good. I would opt for the 3 and then bring an auxiliary pour can on a big outing to top off or refuel with. Whatever you decide just make sure you are consuming the fuel you buy in a timely manner and are not letting it sit around to get stale and gum up your carburetor.

I don't think any of the new tanks are metal but if they are available, I would not recommend one. The plastic composite (polypropylene?)tanks are far superior and won't rust.

Good luck with your sweet old Honda twin!

Thanks for the reply jgmo!

Perhaps "pressurized tanks" was a poor choice of words. There does appear to be a difference in the regulations between US and Canada though. According to the Attwood site:

As a result of new EPA regulations to reduce evaporative emissions, portable fuel systems are now manufactured in such a way that prevents fuel vapor from escaping into the atmosphere. In addition to the environmental benefit, boaters see an economic benefit because their valuable fuel remains in the tank – instead of evaporating.

However, the EPA regulations present challenges to the marine industry because the compliant fuel systems are now sealed and unable to vent as in the past. The fact is, all systems sold today must not emit emissions and these new closed systems cause pressure build up inside the tank that rarely occurred prior to the new regulations. Additionally, each component within the system adds another potential restriction to fuel flow. As fuel restriction levels rise, engine performance is affected. In some cases, complete failure can occur.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/category/portable-fuel0

I didn't see your reply before I went ahead and picked up the other parts needed to get the system running. I've already put gas into the 6g tank and ran the boat for a few hours so I'm stuck with it now
:D.

So to update this thread and let others learn from my experience, the old Honda parts are based on 1/4" hoses. The only Attwood fuel system equipment I could find at my extremely LIMITED supplier had 3/8" hoses. I went to the auto parts dealer here in town and picked up a 1/4" and a 3/8" brass fitting and then coupled them together. I had a small chunk of 3/8" hose to splice the two together. Much like me it's not pretty, but it works.

New gas tank next to the OEM Honda tank that came with the engine.

Brass fitting that adapts the 3/8" hose to the 1/4" hose so I could use the original gas tank adaptor while still using the sprayless connector to on the tank end.

Next up is tuning the carb so that I can get it to start with minimal effort, but idle low enough for trolling!

Neil

Well, I don't think that is ugly at all! Looks like a nice, clean adapter job. And it looks like the 6 gallon tank BELONGS there. Doesn't seem to be taking up too much space at all. And, sometime in the future when you're on that "big" outing, you'll probably be glad you have it.

Admittedly I haven't purchased a new tank in years so I was completely unaware of the new regulations. But...with our nanny government....I should have guessed. Notice how they warn you, in a low key fashion, that you "may experience problems". Which, read another way, it tells you "THIS NEW TANK, DEVELOPED AND DESIGNED BY POLITICIANS, WILL NOT WORK ANYWAY NEAR AS WELL AS THE ONES THAT THEY REPLACE"

Folks down here in the USA may recall how these same people put a good and venerable company out of business with their "meddling". The BLITZ gas can company is today shuttered and most of us are left to curse and, ultimately, modify and defeat the gas can nozzles that DON'T WORK FOR POURING GAS!

I....we....the people.....once again.....stand corrected.

But you did a good job!

Back