Logo

Need some Re-Power information

bertg

Regular Contributor
A buddy of mine did the unthinkable last fall, he didn't drain his engine of water. Bad move up here.
He needs a 205 V6 complete long block and wants to replace the drive also.
Any inexpensive good deals out there for new/rebuilt power products?
Thanks
Bert

"Any inexpensive good deals out there for new/rebuilt power products?"

Ck. eBay Canada. You may find a good "take out" engine & OD from an upgrade. Ck. graveyards for a damaged hull w/good engine/OD.

Guy
I agree but he wants a new setup or a professional rebuild. I told him about the inexpensive legs that are available, but he was more interested in an original new one. Tough sell this guy.
Bert

If he has the money to spend than tell him to go to his local MCM dealer and get it off the top shelf. Frankly I would go to a rebuilder and get a rebuilt long block. You guys are freshwater up there so I would guess his exhaust manis are in good shape or did they crack too? What about the heat exchanger? Why does he need a new leg is the casing cracked? In canada I hope he has at least $10K to spend just for parts and a lot more for the install. I know a fishing guide in Homer AK that spent $40K for brand new everything installed rady for turn key.

There are complete New mercruiser setups available/advertised on Ebay. Check with your local Mercruiser dealer and tell him to have $6k+ handy.

New long block, $2000-2500 with warranty, New SEI outdrive $1395 with warranty

On Ebay New Drop-in Mercruiser Engine $5700, outdrives $1500.. dont know if they are SEI or OEM Merc.

Good luck.

"outdrives $1500.. dont know if they are SEI or OEM Merc."

Prolly SEI new mercs are about twice that. I would careful off of ebay I've been burned a couple of times from people advertising stuff that isn't completely true. "New" prolly means rebuilt but it would be hard to tell unless you're a mechanic.

You could look up mechigan motors i bought from them new anyway you want it, he needs a sei drive if he needs new there also.

Thanks all for the information. I'll have his undivided attention all next week when we are fishing off the West coast of BC. :D
I don't know why he needs a new leg, probably just the satisfaction of knowing it's reliable. He plans on docking the boat at Cold Lake AB during the summer and commuting each weekend and live off it.
Bert

Hey it's his money let him spend it the way he wants to. One more time closest place to you is Michigan motors brand new with everything installed. New alpha or bravo. Go with new cables also nothing of the old stuff.

Tell your friend he has my respect for wanting to do it the right way.

Back