Logo

Need sea trial technician in Chicago for 1989 350 HP 454 CID

CC381

Hello, new member and first post. I just purchased a 1989 CC Catalina 381 with a $$ hold back covering a May 2023 sea trial. Looking to hire a fully qualified technician in Chicago to monitor and evaluate engines and transmissions. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks Alan

Last edited:
Welcome to ME.com!

I would suggest starting with a SAMS accredited member (www.marinesurvey.org). Tell them you want a mechanical survey and see what they suggest. Some do engines and some sublet that work...a few phone calls (or emails) and you should find a few viable candidates.

Your other option would be to find a certified mechanic (assuming Crusader since you posted here) who would be willing to check out your drive train.

good luck!

Thanks for the prompt response. Your suggestion is my "plan b". I was just hoping to find a technician that someone had personal experience with instead of taking a leap of faith in somebody.

I will double down on Mark's suggestion. Buying a boat without a surveyor is a huge gamble that could cost you thousands compared to the few hundred the survey costs. The seller should agree and pay for the surveyor that you select, or at least split the cost so if you decide to bail you haven't lost much. It may not be the engines that are the thing that sinks the deal. 1989 wasn't a particularly great time for boat building (sales were through the roof tho) and there were lots of duds even in the big name yards. They were building them as fast as they could and quality was second in line to profit. At least, until it all cam crashing down in the Recession of the 90's.

Back