Logo

Need help with Poppet/Relief Valve Part and Install

ahu

2008 Bf150 with overheat issues above 4500 rpm and occasionally when idling. Tstats on top of engine have less than 30 hours on them. Want to check relief valve. Which part/s do I need to buy from this diagram. Also is it pretty straight forward when inspecting/replacing? Anything I need to specifically look out for??

Screenshot (44).png Screenshot (46).png

I believe it is 15 and 19 (valve and the gasket). I removed the side right cover for easier access (and to repaint it). Keep in mind removing the side cover means the tilt switch (watch the wiring and unplug) and the screw that holds the plastic piece attached to the grommet. I may be able to get a few pictures tomorrow if that helps.

It is indeed #15 and #19. Went ahead and replaced it last night. To do this job you will need to remove the cowling on the starboard side of the motor. Be sure to unplug the trim wiring harness. You will see the relief valve cover in the bottom of the outboard facing upward. You will need to remove the hose that is attached and the two 10mm bolts holding it in. The rear bolt is kind of tricky to get to as my smallest socket wrench barely fit. After removing the valve and oring/gasket clean up the area of salt and corrosion. Grease the new oring/gasket and place the valve in. Tighten bolts and replace the cowling.
IMG-5964.jpg

IMG-5955.jpg
IMG-5963.jpg
IMG-5958.jpg

IMG-5960.jpg
VSnQTr2Q

Great write up and pictures. I completely forgot to take some pics after my last post. Glad the part numbers lined up. Post a follow up and let’s hope it runs great!

I believe it is 15 and 19 (valve and the gasket). I removed the side right cover for easier access (and to repaint it). Keep in mind removing the side cover means the tilt switch (watch the wiring and unplug) and the screw that holds the plastic piece attached to the grommet. I may be able to get a few pictures tomorrow if that helps.
I am dealing with similar symptoms now even after replacing thermostats and poppet (relief) Valve. Can you share what your result was and underlying cause?

2008 Bf150 with overheat issues above 4500 rpm and occasionally when idling. Tstats on top of engine have less than 30 hours on them. Want to check relief valve. Which part/s do I need to buy from this diagram. Also is it pretty straight forward when inspecting/replacing? Anything I need to specifically look out for??

View attachment 29145 View attachment 29146
I am dealing with similar symptoms now even after replacing thermostats and poppet (relief) Valve. Can you share what your result was and underlying cause?
attached copied image shows apparent proper poppet orientation that I am using. Engine still goes into slow mode wit constant alarm, no mil, but resets briefly with turning key off and back on. Briefly means slow condition returns within 2 minutes. Help wold be greatly appreciated.

Back