Logo

Need help understanding the operation of my 1978 Mercury 115hp inline 6

Cheeseman

New to the forum. Thank you.
I have a 1978 mercury 115hp inline 6 2 stroke outboard. Getting strong spark on cylinders 3 and 6, very weak but noticeable on the remaining 4 cylinders.
I has led me to believe that the rotor/rotor shaft may be bent....... Put on New cap, wires and plugs. Came with new CDI switch box.
Until I read that some mercury only fire on 2 cylinders at low RPM and then kick in as the rpms rise. IS that true for my model?
Your advice will be most appreciated.

Not your model. If it fire all will fire, check plug boot as spring rot off inside and cause weak spark

Thanks for the response. I have put new wires , plugs and cap on it. No change. I used the number 3 plug wire (known good) and went around the cap trying each cylinder, still again no change, 3 and 6 strong spark weak spark on all the others.
Any other suggestions you might have?

Bad switch boxes?

I suggest you use a DVA meter to find out what's happening. I bought an attachment for my ohm meter on Amazon that cost about 30 bucks.

Jeff

Switch box was replaced with a CDI unit part# 114-2986 w/coil. Have great pulsing spark straight out of the coil. Great spark on 3 and 6, weak spark on the other 4
Can pictures be added to the thread?

Back