Logo

NEED HELP! Should I buy this Yamaha?!

JJ™

Hey guys,

I've been researching this for awhile and don't seem to really be able to come up with any definitive answers.
I'm considering purchasing a 1985 50hp Yamaha 2 stroke from a gentleman I came across on craigslist.
The motor has a cracked lower unit and hasn't been run in quite awhile. Has good compression on all cylinders though and minimal corrosion.

Here is the story behind it that I have gotten from him:
He purchased the motor 6 months ago from a guy that said the lower unit went out on him 2 years ago and he had had it stored in his shop since. He purchased it with the intention to get it up and running but just didn't have time.

Anyway, here are the pictures he has sent so far -

I'd want to replace some of that hardware that has rust starting on it.

Lower Unit

Crack Number 1

Crack Number 2

I'm thinking that if I pay around $500-$600 for it and pick up a new lower unit it should be in the ballpark of $1500 or so to get it up and running. (If that's all that's wrong with it)
The only reason I'm considering this route is that these 50hp short shafts are a pretty rare find and it would fit the ticket perfectly for my new skiff.

What are some additional questions I should ask him? Anything in particular I should look for when I actually see it?
Are there any additional tests I can run besides compression & spark?

Anyway, what do you guys think?

I love yamaha outboards and would generally recommend them to anyone. If the short shaft is rare, it may be hard to find a replacement lower unit for it. I would personally check the compression on it and the spark to make sure you have seen the readings the seller is claiming. It seems whenever anyone wants to sell something, they suddenly become experts on how easy it will be to fix the motor, but they just haven't had time. Don't just trust what they say, confirm the readings yourself. If there is no way to test the motor yourself before buying it, do not buy it. Plan on rebuilding the carburetors, changing the impeller, and spending some time going through it to make sure everything is good. You often can find a good used lower unit on ebay.

I would not. unless I can hear and see the engine run, no way. short shaft engines are not rare. I am in California, and I bump into these all the time. there is a reason why he has not sold it or fixed it in two years.........

Back