Logo

Need help identifying Year and Model based on number found on aluminum plug...

RoyHaga

I have been struggling to determine the model number and year (and frankly the serial number as well), for the 90HP Johnson 2-stroke Outboard that came on a 2001 Crest II pontoon boat I purchased last year. The sticker with that information has been completely rubbed off. Through reading other forums I was able to determine that finding the aluminum plug in the picture I have attached here is possibly my last option available as a starting point. I am under the impression that the motor is the original one paired with the boat by the manufacturer. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
IMG_2988 (1).jpg

The serial # does not help for the year.----Is this a 60 degree V-4 ?----------Many folks can tell the year with a picture of the cowling if original graphics are there.

I would say the motor is same year as the boat.

That was/is my assumption up to this point. Although I am aware of the occasional new boat that is paired with a motor from the next year. I doubt it happens often though.

The model number is the elusive info...

Thanks.

That is because factories today use laser printed labels on their $10,000 + products.----- They do not care what happens after 10 years !!-----Your motor is a 60 degree V-4 and based on the decals ( google it if you like ) it sure looks like a 2001 model to my guessing eyes.----They were available in that grey and white.-----In the old days they made stamped metal plates with identification.----Sadly those days are gone.

Last edited:
You do not believe that your motor is a 2001 ??

It isn't necessarily that I don't believe it is a 2001, I just have no documentation that confirms that it is (or isn't). My primary driver for this topic is my insurance agent requiring the detail. Secondarily (but only because I haven't had any issues or owned it long enough to service the motor), I want to be certain I know which year/model I will eventually need to order parts.

Take better color pictures of the hood alone, all by itself... front, side, rear portion, and get them back to us.

The shape of the hood may remain the same for quite a few years, BUT..................

The decal design, the appearance of the hood is a one time design... never to be repeated, changing from year to year.

I have saved Evinrude & Johnson brochures that I've used in the past just for ID purposes but unfortunately I retired in 1991 so my books do no include the models in your engine's time period area...... Other members may have just the booklet you need that will pinpoint what you have as may dealerships, etc.

Last edited:
So will your insurance agent accept anything other than a plate / decal with a model # that is attached to the motor today ?

So will your insurance agent accept anything other than a plate / decal with a model # that is attached to the motor today ?----I think there are 7 models for 2001 and white or charcoal paint would be a different model.----Long and extra long are a different model.----Most shops could go over your motor and select the model from the list !!

Take better color pictures of the hood alone, all by itself... front, side, rear portion, and get them back to us.

The shape of the hood may remain the same for quite a few years, BUT..................

The decal design, the appearance of the hood is a one time design... never to be repeated, changing from year to year.

I have saved Evinrude & Johnson brochures that I've used in the past just for ID purposes but unfortunately I retired in 1991 so my books do no include the models in your engine's time period area...... Other members may have just the booklet you need that will pinpoint what you have as may dealerships, etc.

Thanks for your guidance. I won't be back at the lake for a few weeks, but once I am I will take some more photos. Take care.

Back