Logo

Need help identifying starter that needs rebuilt

SaltyScot

Regular Contributor
This motor was painted black and has no model # plate. I'm pretty sure it's a 1975 Johnson 70hp. The starter is barely cranking and all the connections and solenoid check out. I want to clean it/replace brushes, but there's a couple different starters listed for this motor. Can someone (perhaps racerone🙂) point me toward the correct brushes? Thanks

Stephen

Bosch has a flat bottom, Prestolite has a large dimple on bottom. Here is link to new....
By dimple, do you mean nipple perhaps? Definitely not flat and stick out in the middle. It has a gray sticker with red and white sorta wiring diagram on it.

Does that starter that you link fit my motor regardless of which one I started with? Mine has the wiring post next to the two-hole bracket. That one shows it opposite the bracket. I guess it would just require a slightly longer cable?

Unfortunately, what they sent me doesn't fit. It has the single-hole mount up near the top. It should be in the middle for my motor. It looks like it would fit the 1977 Rude 55hp in my garage. It also has a 9-tooth bendix where the existing is 10-tooth. Not sure how much that matters since it seems to fit the flywheel ok. It's also a bit shorter. Not sure if the bendix would extend that far. UGH Still scratching my head.

I used to buy brushes from local starter / alternator shop.$6.00 a set.----That is for the BOSCH style starter with brushes on the bottom.----Those starters are so easy to inspect repair.

Back