Logo

Need help identifying "extra" port/vent on a rebuilt block for 1985 Johnson V4 120. J120TLCOS

Eyspen

Need help identifying "extra" port/vent on a rebuilt block for 1985 Johnson V4 120. J120TLCOS

The rebuilt power head that I was sent (have been told multiple time that it is compatible) has an extra port near the bottom of the block on the carb intake side that the original did not have. I will attach pictures that show the old crank case and the new/rebuilt case and I will point to what I am talking about.

If anyone could please help me identify what its for and how I should proceed. I have a lot of sentimental value in this rebuild and I really want to make this work despite me starting this rebuild journey with little to zero knowledge of working on engines.

Now the port on the old crank case has a matching vent/port for recirculating back to the top of the crank case. My theory is that the "extra" port/vent is needing to be Y'ed in before the check valve like the lower one.

Hopefully some of you can make sense of what I can not.

Thanks.IMG-5256.jpgIMG-5251.jpgIMG-5252.jpgIMG-5253.jpgIMG-5254.jpg

Re: Need help identifying "extra" port/vent on a rebuilt block for 1985 Johnson V4 120. J120TLCOS

It is a update to vent the bottom bearing...makes em idle better. Just route a hose from nipple along same route as recirc hose to top of engine.

Re: Need help identifying "extra" port/vent on a rebuilt block for 1985 Johnson V4 120. J120TLCOS

Ok so I bought a couple stainless steel check valves because I assume I need to make sure that flow is one direction prior to me TEEing this "extra" vent into the recirc line correct?

If so I was thinking about how/where to Tee/Y in the new vent. Picture one is what I was thinking and that being Tee/Y it in nearly right away. Pic 2 and 3 are if I were to do it at the top of the engine.

Which one do you think I should do? Does it really matter?

It is a update to vent the bottom bearing...makes em idle better. Just route a hose from nipple along same route as recirc hose to top of engine.

Attachments

• Recirc 1.jpg
    Recirc 1.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Recirc 2.jpg
    Recirc 2.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Recirc 2B.jpg
    Recirc 2B.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 4

No valves needed ,just hose routed up along side of recirc hose to about starter height.

Back