Logo

need help from ricardo

danthemancarolina

Contributing Member
86 welcraft 20 foot classic bowrider
reman merc 350 5.0 (just rebuilt again)
carb has been rebuilt
alpha one outdrive (sei in 2009)

Ricardo, just rebuilt engine and had carb rebuilt by marine shop. took it to the lake and was making a tapping noise "still thats why i rebuilt the engine and heads done by machine shop". took back to dealer after they rebuilt carb. Then they removed the outdrive and said it had no oil in it. Also said it didnt turn freely. tried to sell me a used one and i declined.

Before I just take their word for it and buy a new sei alpha for 1300 bucks. I want to know if it would be worth it for me to take apart the upper. If i do that, what am I looking for.

thanks Dan

Dan, I can pretty much tell you that running one dry and under load, and for any length of time, will damage gears and bearings.
You've got little to loose by removing the top cover and looking inside.

Edit:
Just curious..... who was responsible for installing the drive oil?
IOW, who was the last one working on the drive and who assumed responsibility for completing the work?

Last edited:
Dan, I can pretty much tell you that running one dry and under load, and for any length of time, will damage gears and bearings.
You've got little to loose by removing the top cover and looking inside.

Edit:
Just curious..... who was responsible for installing the drive oil?
IOW, who was the last one working on the drive and who assumed responsibility for completing the work?

Hi Rick, I had the outdrive off to change the impeller. I am positive that I put fluid in the outdrive, I even use checklists to make sure I do not make any mistakes. I also put marine bearing grease in the u joint fittings prior to installing. I have pulled the cap and the gear on top looks fine. no rust or pitting etc. When I took it to the repair shop I just could not beleive that it had no oil in it. Perhaps seal was missing or worn and the oil leaked out? when i took the boat to the lake for a test drive. The engine was making the same noise that it was making prior to having the heads redone. I was only puttering and immediately went back to dock. Thats when I got frustrated and took it to the repair shop. They rebuilt the carb and that was not the problem. Then when I took it back they pulled the outdrive and told me no oil and doesnt turn freely.

checked warranty and I actually bought in 06 bummer...

thanks for all the comments and help. looks like this might be a loose, loose for me

Back