Logo

Need help bypassing fuel pump!

Need to look at why the VRO pump is not working.-----They are simple to inspect / diagnose issues on them.-----The primer bulb does not need to be hard once motor is running !

Need to look at why the VRO pump is not working.-----They are simple to inspect / diagnose issues on them.-----The primer bulb does not need to be hard once motor is running !
I just put up my first post, Intruder 150 challenge.
I have had and am having trouble on top end.... boat planes out fine and runs about 5 seconds and then starts "bogging" down.... come to a complete stop amd take off, planes off fine amd then seconds later "bogs" down! All my boat buddies and mechanics think it is a fuel issue..... replaced everything except the fuel pump, but installed an electric one! Saaaame exact symptoms!

Is it overheating and S.L.O.W. system activates?----Perhaps investigate cooling performance.----Replace water pump impeller.

Is it overheating and S.L.O.W. system activates?----Perhaps investigate cooling performance.----Replace water pump impeller.
It is a 1995-1996 Intruder 150. Not sure there is a S.L.O.W feature. But w that being said, the water pump/impellar has been replaced. Thermostat and temp sensor have been replaced. Thermostat gauge stays pretty consistent when running.

Take it back to the shop that rebuilt the carburetors ?-----Is this what they suggested ?----Or did you ask to have carburetors rebuilt?-----What elevation is the motor running at ?----Any other trouble shooting done ?

I rebuilt them! No one suggested it.... just have been testing this boat since i bought it! Just one thing to do to tune it up for a fairly cheap price.... including spark plugs! The mystery is, it has run perfect for a few trips, one being a fairly long one. And now it runs like garbage!

Did you clean the calibration pockets? Did the link and sync? Eye is good? Linkages not broke? What happens if you pump the primer ball? Does the motor run better if you pump the primer ball?

Flyingscott,
I dont know what the calibration pockets are! No idea what link n sync is! What eye? What linkages? No primer bulb as i have installed an electric fuel pump!

Ok.... with that being said, the motor has run flawless on a few long runs amd short runs! Then, it has run like a turd! Same symptoms every time w all the changes or replacements i have done!

Look at the ignition also ive seen in the past where an electronic ign would get hot and lose spark at high rpms after a bit but at low rpms it was fine.

Buy the correct factory manual for your motor. Or go to a dealership
The dealership/boat mechanics are the last place i wanna go! I knew this boat was going to be a project. I have time...... and it is my first one and everything about it and a boat and boat motor is new to me. It is deff a learning experience! I like these forums just because more than 1 or 2 mechanics hear the problem. Multiple minds out there that have ideas or have had the same issues!

Checked the shift switch on the motor linkages ?----Cuts spark to 3 cylinders during shifting ?-----Replaced water pump impeller ?

Back