Logo

Need Advice on Replacing Fuel Pump

Jamespio

Running a '66 Mercruiser with a Chevy inline 6, the 230 c.i. version. The thing tended to leak fuel, and much of the fuel system had been replaced along the way, so I replaced damn near the whole system with OEM parts. The OEM mechanical pump struggles to pull fuel from the tank up in the bow, down 20' of tubing to the carb. I could likely put the replacement mechanical pump back on, it worked after all. But that would require mods to (or at least adaptors for) the original fuel line with attached connectors. And I'd really prefer bombproof.
So, I'd like to just stick an electric pump in, near the tank, where I can easily provide power. But it's the details I'm struggling with. What pump? Do I need a pressure regulator? How uch pressure do I want? How do I rig a return line (the carb has no return port, factory had a return connected with a fueld line T right at the carb, and leading back to the fuel line before the filter)? Also, the return line, which was gone when I got the boat, was one of the reasons for wanting to fix the fuel system, as everythign I read indicated it might be important.
So, please, help a guy who is reaosnably handy but not well educated. Waht do I need here and how do I install it?

TIA

There is no return fuel line for carb`d motors. The mechanical pump is ffine and you can replace it with an electric pump mounted on the motor. Any electric pump installation requires a pressure switch fuel cutoff .

2X what the Doctur posted... I'll add that if the fuel system is original, it will only help to replace it with modern hardware, especially the 'soft' parts...the term ethanol, back when that boat was built, was only used in chemistry class and never at the fuel dock...

Back